xray look

edecker

Hi,

I have used plug-ins to do that, it's been quick and easy. "aRIM", "aSem" by now defunct TripleDot were great. They don't work for me anymore, they render single frames but crash on rendering sequences. And there is nobody to turn to for answers. The old issue of EI plug-ins vanishing (usually just after you bought them).

Konkeptoine sells "Microscope", but I can't remember if it can get you the same look or if it crashes on sequence render (on a mac). I am currently doing a medical project and was planning on using "aRIM". I am using rim lights instead and doing some colour adjustments.

I remember a post by Richard Joly, he said he got that look by using ramps. Not sure exactly how he did it but you may want to do a small search for it.

Christian

Thanks for the reply Christian. Like you I have a couple plug-ins that aren't working right. I did remember there was a way to do it with nice results just with the EI toolset and all my searches came up empty. I will look at Richard's postings since he does seem a likely candidate for posting something like this before.

Cheers,

Eric

I copied an X-ray recipe using the gradient shader from Jens from 28 January 2009. Not sure from which EI forum though. Hope this is the relevant one.

Aziz

====

Start quote:

Hi all,

the whole idea is to pronounc the edges of an object. The larger the angle of a surface is to the viewer, the less transparent it is. In the gradient shader there is a popup called “sourceâ€. If you set it to “view edge†the gradient will go from the edges to the center of the object - same what aEdge does. You can put this into the transparency edge channel. You can also just use the edge controls of the transparency to make the edges visible, but not the inner surfaces, but you have more control over the ramp with the gradient shader. If you want the whole scene to shade like this just use it as a camera map.

Jens

End quote.

This may be a bit late... I was watching a tutorial on Sub Surface Scattering by Ian and towards the end he uses a gradient shader to add a rim sort of light. I played with the shader in my project files I just completed and could achieve a look similar to what I could get with aRIM. The only difference is that the effect is applied equally around the object. I used it in the luminance channel and it worked well. I am sure it could help creating an X-ray look.

Christian