Material/Texture project

Buggsy

Hey Everyone,

I don't know how usable this might be to everyone but I am creating a project of all of the standard EI textures that come with v8.0 and my textures (NX Shader) into one EI project file.

I have used a null as the folder heading (example: Skin & Leather which corresponds to the folders on my Mac) and then linked each cube (model file) that has animated visibility enabled on in order to create a .mov file with all the textures in it. I am then going to import single frames into the all the textures in the project file and then save them out over the current .mtr files via the Material Palette inside of EI so that any texture that is imported will come with a preview of what the texture looks like.

My questions are, would this be valuable for everyone to have making it available for download to all users? Is there a free software program that will split all of the frames out of my texture movies into single .jpg files? I have also created a "Set" that will show which files have the NX Shader in it so they can be filtered if you don't have NX Shader.

Let me know everyone.

Material/Texture Folder headings are:

-Brick & Block

-Fabric & Textiles

-Flooring & Tiles

-Fruit & Veg

-Glass

-Hi-Tech & Hi-Gloss

-Landscaping

-Liquids

-Metal

-Paper & Cardboard

-Rubber

-Skin & Leather

-Space

-Stone & Ceramic

-Tree

-Wall Finishes

-Wood

-ZZ Miscellaneous

Buggsy

Hey Buggsy,

The idea is really interesting, I want to consult the EIAS3d team, because we are thinking on other ideas too, so, probably we can mix all your efforst with us..

Thanksss a lot

Tom

Hey Everyone,

I don't know how usable this might be to everyone but I am creating a project of all of the standard EI textures that come with v8.0 and my textures (NX Shader) into one EI project file.

I have used a null as the folder heading (example: Skin & Leather which corresponds to the folders on my Mac) and then linked each cube (model file) that has animated visibility enabled on in order to create a .mov file with all the textures in it. I am then going to import single frames into the all the textures in the project file and then save them out over the current .mtr files via the Material Palette inside of EI so that any texture that is imported will come with a preview of what the texture looks like.

My questions are, would this be valuable for everyone to have making it available for download to all users? Is there a free software program that will split all of the frames out of my texture movies into single .jpg files? I have also created a "Set" that will show which files have the NX Shader in it so they can be filtered if you don't have NX Shader.

Let me know everyone.

Material/Texture Folder headings are:

-Brick & Block

-Fabric & Textiles

-Flooring & Tiles

-Fruit & Veg

-Glass

-Hi-Tech & Hi-Gloss

-Landscaping

-Liquids

-Metal

-Paper & Cardboard

-Rubber

-Skin & Leather

-Space

-Stone & Ceramic

-Tree

-Wall Finishes

-Wood

-ZZ Miscellaneous

Buggsy

Hi, Buggsy, All

Beautiful idea, but "how"? We see: need to create "EI materials library" on this forum. Minimal functionality:

- user should be able to see some material presets, (maybe with short comments) and have an ability to d/l material files.

- author should be able to upload his materials, screenshots and comments into his personal section (maybe with help of admin, "auto" is not necessary - at least at first time).

Igors' web knowledges are minimal (or less yet) so maybe our sentences sound naive a bit - no probs if so :rolleyes: Ideas, suggestions and propositions are welcome

Hi, Buggsy, All

Beautiful idea, but "how"? We see: need to create "EI materials library" on this forum. Minimal functionality:

- user should be able to see some material presets, (maybe with short comments) and have an ability to d/l material files.

- author should be able to upload his materials, screenshots and comments into his personal section (maybe with help of admin, "auto" is not necessary - at least at first time).

Igors' web knowledges are minimal (or less yet) so maybe our sentences sound naive a bit - no probs if so :rolleyes: Ideas, suggestions and propositions are welcome

I couldn't say that I quite get what your saying. Do you mean providing a place here on this forum for a textures repository? Was the Material Repository that was started on the EI Technology forum get swallowed up by the new EI development team and if so will v9.0 have improvements regarding texture previews?

A while ago a user made a comment that he had to do a lot of previews due to the absence of multi-threading which reduced Animators performance in being able to provide quick rendered previews. I know this is more than just about textures but my thinking is to provide (in the standard "EI Material" folder better previewing to open up greater access to current shaders. The current EI palettes and texturing system is clunky at best but that doesn't preclude solutions that try to work with what we have.

I am one of the users that watched the Material Repository concept developed by users on the EI Technology website forum, die a quiet death. Maybe there is no merit in being able to see what the texture looks like. Maybe relying on texture names, blind faith and frustration in using the shaders is only something I suffer. First you've got to wrestle with the model scale then the shader "Projection" scale then the shaders units and try and get something that looks remotely like the shader preview. Part of the solution could be as simple as providing a location in EI that allows the user to insert their own texture preview. And/or like OnyxTree allow access to a preview image from the OS browser so you can get visual feed back about the texture your about to import into your project. Currently if you "Load" a texture via the info tab on an object in EI you can't view anything other than a .mtr file. Why not allow a .jpg file to be previewed here which corresponds to the .mtr file you think will achieve the look your after or right click on the texture in the Material Palette and have a preview pop up?

I have NX Shader and the material library that comes with it. After adding all the textures in it to my Material/Texture project I'm inspired and surprised by the effects I can achieve with it. For most users I think you want to be creative quickly and finding a texture that has been prepared by the Developer or 3rd party which gives the user some assurance that your working at least with something that should yield predictable results and is also a place of creative inspiration.

I just thought it may be useful to other users and if there was anything the developers could glean from it then my hours (days actually) of work (which I will definitely benefit from) can be shared with others.

If anyone knows whether there is an application that can split my .mov files out into individual .jpg files that would be great if you can post it here.

Buggsy

Hi I just started to learn blender where they have the section called{ every material known to man } where people post pictures of and settigs to create various materials . as far as how you could set up capturing your materials .mov out into single jpgs I have know idea. The over all idea is of interest , just the how, is the question.

Mark

...If anyone knows whether there is an application that can split my .mov files out into individual .jpg files that would be great if you can post it here.

I checked Graphic Converter but I don't thing it does that.

These might do the job:

http://video-frame-capture.for-mac.com/

http://www.mp4converter.net/video-converter-mac.html

Hello Buggsy

I couldn't say that I quite get what your saying. Do you mean providing a place here on this forum for a textures repository?

Yes, a repository of EI materials here - we're talking about this.

About your critique of EI texturing workflow - please create another thread and let's discuss there. Not all in one bag please :shy:

If anyone knows whether there is an application that can split my .mov files out into individual .jpg files that would be great if you can post it here.

Buggsy

Super from erightsoft.com will do that. The interface is a little different, but once you're used to it, it is quite powerful. To download the program, you'll have to scroll through a couple of very packed screens about Super. They won't allow a direct link to the download page. But it's Freeware, so I can't complain too much.

Ross