EIM Replacement in Lion

Gigayoda

Hi Gang,

I was wondering if any of you all replaced EIM for mac long ago and if so which modeler you all switched to. In particular I was wondering from your experience which modeler resembles and improves upon EIM?

I was looking at VIACad but they don't market the program enough to get a feel for what it can do. I do use modo & C4D but EIM was my quick and dirty modeler. Any word if EITG will still launch a 3d app? Their site is down and haven't seen or heard anything in a long time.

BTW I'm looking for sub $500 modelers. Silo hasn't evolved for me to fully trust. Strata has some toys, and Moi last I checked was PC only.

Thanks for any links or suggestions.

I switched to ViaCAD and performed the upgrade to SharkFX as it was in promotion. The upgrade was less than 500$, but can't remember how much. I did the upgrade mainly because I needed some of the construction features of Shark. I can assure you ViaCAD is ways better than EIM ever was, although I loved EIM very much. The only thing: ViaCAD is a little cumbersome to work with. On the other hand you get some high-end features and a reliable production-ready output even for rapid-prototyping for only 49 $!

I use it as an quality equal addition to my 5.000 $ professional Modeling Software. Shark/ViaCAD handles some details better than my ProApp - some are better in the ProAPP. They are fully compatible via STEP-format. So you can export, edit, re-import and edit again. I never had stability issues with ViaCAD.

Best regards

Frank

Autodessy has been here for, well, forever... Their latest baby: Bonzaï3D

http://www.formz.com/products/bonzai3d/bonzai3dFeatures.php

Although at 500$ it's no giveway...

It exports .fact...

Hey Richard,

I worked on the beta test on bonzai it is powerful being a formZ user myself I enjoyed it but it was always lacking something I can quite put my finger on. Since beta I have to admit some UI changes seem to have been implemented.

I'm also beta testing Rhino3D. Rhino was intuitive without really knowing anything about it. I just started clicking and modeling. Waiting on any other votes on ViaCad I'm surprised that already some life is out there for the program.

Wilson,

I do own ViaCAD and while, as Frank says, it is a little cumbersome to work with, at 49$, it's a must have tool.

The fact that it reads .sat files is the main reason I bought it.

You are right about Bonzai3D. I downloaded the demo a couple times now but never bought the thing because of I don't feel comfortable with it and I don't know why. If I had to model a lot like I had to few years ago, I think I'd go with Modo. My partner uses it and it is quite impressive. With FormZ, Silo, ViaCAD and some really fantastics free tool as SweetHome 3D, I'm covered...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to find a features comparison chart between ViaCAD 2D/3D and ViaCAD Pro. I sort of remember 2D/3D lacking a few modeling features EIM had, Pro covering them all (and adding a few fancy ones like continuity-capping and things?), although I'm not certain.

I downloaded the ViaCAD V.7 demo, and I am having trouble with its 2D drawing: everything I try to draw gets offset, curves only show their control lines, etc. I'm searching for a downloadable demo of ViaCAD 2D/3D V.8 to see if that happens, too. My old V.6 works OK, though. My card is a Radeon HD 5770. Anybody seeing the same?