Bringing modo displacement maps into EIAS

robertb

I have finally started learning modo even though it's been sitting on my computer for the last few years. So I have lots of basic questions about importing models into EIAS - sorry.

I have created a model with displacement maps. How do I bring these into EIAS? They are saved as .exr but it seems that they can also be done in targa etc. Are these the same as Normal maps?

I'm still using 6.5 even though I have 7.0. Can this be done in these versions or do I need to upgrade to 8.0? I notice that it says that exr files are now supported or is there a work around for the older versions?

Thanks for any help.

Robert

Ola Robert,

Only EIAS 8 can read .exr and we implemented new features on EIAS 8 to improve Displacement map rendering.

You can bring models from Modo to EIAS using Transporter or OBJ2FACT from Ramjac, I use OBJ2FACT a lot with my films.

I can teach you How, but I dont know if you have OBJ2FACT.

If am I not wrong, EITG is doing a special upgrade price to EIAS users, please contact Phil.

Thanksss

Tom

I have finally started learning modo even though it's been sitting on my computer for the last few years. So I have lots of basic questions about importing models into EIAS - sorry.

I have created a model with displacement maps. How do I bring these into EIAS? They are saved as .exr but it seems that they can also be done in targa etc. Are these the same as Normal maps?

I'm still using 6.5 even though I have 7.0. Can this be done in these versions or do I need to upgrade to 8.0? I notice that it says that exr files are now supported or is there a work around for the older versions?

Thanks for any help.

Robert

Thanks Tom,

Yep I have obj2fac. I have managed to bring the models into EIAS ok - it was more the displacement maps I was having a problem with. I thought there might be a process of converting the .exr into an 'image' bump or normal map.

It sounds as if I might just have to go for Phil's offer.

Cheers

Robert

Hey Robert,

You can convert .exr to .img on Photoshop to use on EIAS 7, but you will loose the 16 bits of .exr and the sea level feature of EIAS 8.

Thanksss

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Yep I have obj2fac. I have managed to bring the models into EIAS ok - it was more the displacement maps I was having a problem with. I thought there might be a process of converting the .exr into an 'image' bump or normal map.

It sounds as if I might just have to go for Phil's offer.

Cheers

Robert