How to fix this Camera error

Paul P

Hi all,

I've been away from 3D work for along while. I just reinstalled my copy of EIAS 8, and when I try to render the old Sponza GI project, I get the following error :

I have tried to delete the entire EAIS 8 folder, deleted preference files etc. but i can't get any renders at all. Sometimes the Camera window opens, but all the information fields are blank.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

PS : running an Mac Pro 3.1, OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard with all current updates, and 12GB RAM.

post-90-0-13346600-1387676703_thumb.png

This is a camera input output routine error: 28 Could not get file reference. Reference given

Seems like allocating more ram allowed Camera to use a certain file?

Any large texture or model used in Sponza?

Richard,

thanks for that reply.

The Sponza file was a test file that was created by Reuben around the time of EIAS 6.5, to show the Globall Illumination feature, which I think was new in 6.5. I don't remember Reuben's surname. The model and texture files are very small. The fac model is 3.9 MB and the biggest texture is 115kb.

I didn't know that you could set the Camera RAM to more than the actual physical RAM in the computer, but there you have it.

Season's greetings to you and all EI users.

Thanks Richard.

I knew about that list before. but it doesn't really tell you how to fix the problem, as far as I can see.

At any rate, I am now back to square one. I cannot get any renders out of EIAS 8. After having it set up and working well, I tried to reinstall the Demo of EIAS 9, to export some models, and since then I can't seem to get any renders at all. I have since deleted EIAS 9, trashed and reinstalled EIAS 8 a few times, run ONYX, deleted the preference files in my library folder, deleted the ccn file several times, the CachePageFile file several times, but still nothing. Camera launches, and does nothing, with no error code. At other times it launches, gives an error code and quits. But it's not working at all, and I can't think of anything to fix it.

Ola Paul!

As I read before, you are running on OSX 10.6.8, correct?

My guess here, the problem in your machine is due a special character in the path name: your HD name? Some sub-folder? EIAS renamed folder?

You can't have any special character in the path name until it reach the EIAS apps, Camera and Animator.

If your HD have simple name, move the EIAS folder and try to run it.

Thanks

Tom

Ola Paul!

As I read before, you are running on OSX 10.6.8, correct?

My guess here, the problem in your machine is due a special character in the path name: your HD name? Some sub-folder? EIAS renamed folder?

You can't have any special character in the path name until it reach the EIAS apps, Camera and Animator.

If your HD have simple name, move the EIAS folder and try to run it.

Thanks

Tom

Ola Tomas,

thanks for your reply.

Yes I am on 10.6.8.

My volume was called NEW Paul Snow Leopard. I changed this to New Paul Snow Leopard (thinking that capitals may be a problem). I chnaged the name of the Sponza folder (just called Sponza before) to Sponza Folder. I have removed the underscore _ from the names of all the textures. Now I can't launch Animator at all. I get the following messages.

I have no idea what is going on. I have used EIAS 8 before. I have formz7, LW 9.6, Cheetah 3D all installed and working fine.

post-90-0-36418000-1387797480_thumb.png

post-90-0-76848100-1387797492_thumb.png

post-90-0-32315400-1387797510_thumb.png

Ola Paul!

Appears your EIAS 8 folder doesn't have the EI resources folder inside it.

Please, do me a favor, restart your machine and download EIAS 8 from our legacy page in our downloads page, open the installer and copy the EIAS 8 folder to your desktop, try to run EIAS from there.

http://www.eias3d.com/downloads/legacy/

Thanks

Tom

Ola Tomas,

thanks for that.

I did as you suggested, but it doesn't help. I am wondering if it is the dongle that is going south.

I am trying to render three different projects. The Sponza file as mentioned earlier, the Fast Soft Shadows project from the EIAS website, and an old project called Church (I think this came from the EI Technology group website). The problems seem to be random an unpredictable. One time Project A will render, but not the others. Then project A will not render, but the other will. I get various Camera error messages : some are the MCIO, some are the BFIO, and some are the GPRR type.

Also I tried to launch Modeler 5 this morming, and I got the error messages as attached. I don't use an ADB dongle, I have a purple DUO USB dongle.

I have tried installing EIAS 8 on a different machine (a 2008 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard) using the same projects, but I get the same issues.

I realise this is the holiday season, and I apologise for posting at this time. I am pursuiung EIAS for my own learning at the moment, so this work is not for commercial puposes or mission critical etc.

Thanks

post-90-0-48998200-1388004891_thumb.png

post-90-0-63477200-1388004900_thumb.png

Ola Paul!

EI modeler is not seeing the resources folder and in the other message, it's not seeing the Hardware dongle.

Change the hardware dongle port for example, doubt, sometimes your dongle don't have the green small lamp turned on?

EIAS 9 Demo doesn't have conflict with EIAS 8, but you can't have both EIAS 8 and EIAS 9 Demo opened at same time!!

Thanks

Tom

Ola Tomas,

thanks again for your reply.

On my Mac Pro, the dongle has been plugged into the two USB ports on the front, into the keyboard, and also into a powered USB hub. As I mentioned before, I have also tried installing version 8 onto my laptop, a MacBook Pro, but the problems keep happening. The green light on the dongle is always on.

I have just tried EIAS 9.1 demo, and it seems fine. All three projects are rendering fine.

Do you have a company policy for replacing faulty dongles ? I can send my dongle back to you to test if you like.

Thanks

Ola Tomas,

sorry about all this trouble, especially at this time of year.

I tried reinstallng the dongle drivers. I also used Cheetah 3D to make a new model, a very simple model with a flat plane, a cube, a sphere and a step object. No textures, no shaders, nothing except the objects. I used Transporter to import into EIAS 8, and I can render about three or four times, and then I get another MCIO error.

Also, I have an old licence of EIU 5. This has a purple DUO USB dongle as well. When I plug this in, and try to launch Modeler, straight away it launches and works fine. This is the same copy of Modeler that refuses to launch when my EIAS 8 dongle is plugged in.

You say the dongle appears to be fine, but I have my doubts.

Thanks