wow... speed comparison results

supernovavfx

I "Finally" got EI up and running on my 2012 27" iMac 3.4ghz i7  quad core  32megs ram....  680 mx video card.  Basic 1 terabyte drive ( to be replaced by a 2 gig internal SSD drive in the months to come)      

My 'production' machine is the 2008 MacPro tower  3.2 ghz intel zeon 8 core  with a blazing 1tb SSD internal pcie card  32 gigs of ram  and a hefty gtx 680 card with 2gigs of ram my raytraced 1920 x 1080 scene averaged 4mins and 55 seconds with a 64 bit camera on the 2008 mac pro    same scene same settings rendered in 1 minute and around 10 sec's!!!

I fell off my chair!   WOW....    my internals on the mac pro are brand new.......  but the new iMac 3.4 just whipped it....  I tried it with 32 bit camera as well...   roughly same results.... I understand variables and im not equipped to get really detailed on this but the nearly 5x speed increase amazed me.   My imac is now my "king" 3d machine going forward until the new mac pro comes out.    Just wanted to share....  ill post a few more as i go...          the first few frames came in around 14 minutes a frame on the Mac Pro and 6 mins on my iMac. 

Again rough... but i dont care... its so dramatic that im THRILLED and want to remind you how affordable an imac is....  especially compared to the old mac pro's.

HAPPY NEWS....  render fast retire young!!

Scott

I've been waiting for any upgrade until the new MacPro and am getting tired of waiting.

Any chance I could see how that scene renders on my current setup?

Would help me as i am in the midst of a project that I need to complete and getting hold of the Imac would be a quick fix. Then pass it down the line if the new MacPro is needed.

If I could compare those times with my current setup it might do the trick for now.

Just a thought.

Best

Greg

if it still would help Greg... get me your email and ill send you some files.... otherwise...  barefeats.com is a great performance website for macs...   the iMac looks here to stay for ME... ill sell my macpro when the new one comes out this fall...  but im sold on it with that solid video card as well... 680mx...     now that new imacs just came out.... the older ones will probably be even cheaper...    main issue to me is the i7 3.4 clock speed and thunderbolt usb 3 inputs...   that guarantees me really fast production...

where it falls short im guessing... is for me, when i have a 4 or 5 hundred frames needed...  renderama has 4 cameras (optimally)  the new mac pro will have a minimum 6 actual cores... rumor has it that would be the cheap one around $2500 -$3k   I most likely would not invest in anything less than the 12 core model...    the way EI works and i work though... is im constantly rendering individual frames guaging things... NOT using renderama... so having a fast processor speed really accellerates my projects...  im sure im not 

alone in rendering things overnight when im sleeping.... so not having 12 processors usually does not slow me down.... I'm SLEEPING... lol...  production speed and efficiency is a kind of obsession of mine... I cant operate with less than 3 macs in the middle of a big project... 2 at the minimum...  rendering compositing researching etc...