DOF Shader

Thomo

I know this has been discussed before and using DOF in any thing other than Gamma 1.0 creates an "incorrect" result. I get really dark images using gamma 2.2.

How do I correct this result in Photoshop?

I don't understand what is actually happening so it is difficult to correct.

Any help please?

Thanks

• Like 1

Ok. I've discovered that I can open the resultant DOF.psd file in Animator and change it's gamma to 2.2 (in my case) and it shows a correct image.

Now how do I save this as a readable file out of Animator? I do an image "save as" which gives me no file format options, and it is an unreadable file into Photoshop.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

Ok well that's good. :-)

One more question I have about the DOF.

Does anyone know a work around to get a "middle focus". That is to say I would like to have the foreground out of focus, the middle in focus and then beyond out of focus.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

To answer you're question at hand......

You need to have a "U" shape in the DOF shader. The bottom of the U being what's "in focus" and the tops of the U being out of focus. (it could be reversed, I just can't remember)

FYI....

Yes, Correcting the Gamma in EI is good, also in Photoshop if you want to use the "Exposure" adjustment. The only problem is, It won't work in ALL cases because the Gamma is not on the sub pixel level and therefore, some textures could become inaccurately represented. But that's very rare. So, Definitely use the shader! But if you do run into a texture problem (too much red or something like that) it may be due to applying the gamma AFTER the render.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Brian,

I am liking this new notifications via email but I didn't get back to you on this one and apologies for that.

Thanks for the bit on gamma. Yes that does happen. It was a case of having me stumped what to do. If you cant. What do you do?

Still not a fully clarified answer on that.

I'm not sure about the DOF shader and that that is the case.

I certainly can't get that to be a result. Do you have an example file I might be able to look at?

Quite frankly it has me stumped and has done for quite a while now.

I'll keep trying. I understand the concept of what you say, which makes sense, but just can't actually produce it!

Thanks very much though,