UV coordinates?

mondoman

Is there a way to render a normals / UV coordinates pass using anything other than the rpf method?

When I extract the UV coordinates pass from the rpf in After Effects I am limited to 8 bit color (that's a limitation of AE's 3D channel extractor filter).

Ideally I'd like to render a normals or UV coords pass in a format that doesn't need extracting, that I can use in AE in 16 bit or float.

I see there's a Normals shader, but can't find any documentation on that or how to use it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Doug

Hi Doug,

The EIAS Normal shader are apply on EI camera Projection map, it will generate Normal map base on camera view, this kind of normal map use mostly in post effect, here are the example....

head01_zpsf4b20ac2.jpg

Diffuse GI render

headNormal_zps13a45980.jpg

Camera Projection Map with Normal Shader (Turn Off all Light and GI)

with these two images render in EI, lots of post effect can be generate with after effect and Normality Plug in

effect_zps2800babf.jpg

The process is very fast, with this technique we can change modify specular setting change reflection map, refraction, light (AE Light) color, Light position, cell shade effect and many other effect with no need to rerender the whole 3D scene, but the only drawback is it won't generate 3D shadow, the reflection & refraction result are unnatural...

if you want to generate Normal map wit UV coordinate like this... EIAS can't do this at the moment...

4df1c08920.jpg

Thanks Tom, I'm looking over that stuff now.

yhloon - thanks for the info, that's what I'm trying to output, only all I'm using is the screen of a moving 3D smartphone. I need the UV coords rendered to composite the screen in AE.

I tried the Normals Shader through a camera projection map yesterday but couldn't get it to work. Will try again now.

Thanks-

Doug

Hi, I remember about Normality plugin for AE created by Stefan Minning

http://www.3dcg.net/software/normality/

Here are some samples I made changing lighting in AE.

Original.jpg

Default EIAS render

NormalMap.jpg

Normal map from EIAS

Normality3test.jpg

Playing with lights in AE a really good way to create audio synchro effects. You can also change the light colors in AE.

Diego