Renderama on 2nd computer

timmo

greetings all,

Running EI 7. Have used Renderama on one computer with multiple slaves without problems, and now trying to use a second networked computer for renders. Searched everywhere I can find for instructions with out success. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

greetings all,

Running EI 7. Have used Renderama on one computer with multiple slaves without problems, and now trying to use a second networked computer for renders. Searched everywhere I can find for instructions with out success. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Hi Timmo,

If you go to the Animator menu bar and select "Help/Animator Manual", you'll find a good procedure for setting up Renderama in the "Network Rendering with Renderama" chapter.

Basically, it describes how you copy your EIAS folder onto each slave (which you have done on your first computer), and assign a unique port number to each Renderama Slave (which you've done on your first machine).

I think you can directly connect your two computers with a crossover(?) cable between their network ports, but I could be wrong so please ask someone else to verify this before you try it!

Sincerely,

Joe T

Yes Tom I reviewed that video but it's only for one computer - very good though.

Thanks Joe T - I failed to mentioned I read the manual approach but I'm on Ethernet, which I tried, but apparently won't work:

Renderama jobs can only be distributed across TCP/IP local and wide area net- works. No other network protocol is supported.

In the olden days of EI you could copy the render files to another computer and render independently. Any way to do that now?

I think I have a crossover cable around here and I'll try that idea.

thanks all!

Hi Timmo,

If you go to the Animator menu bar and select "Help/Animator Manual", you'll find a good procedure for setting up Renderama in the "Network Rendering with Renderama" chapter.

Basically, it describes how you copy your EIAS folder onto each slave (which you have done on your first computer), and assign a unique port number to each Renderama Slave (which you've done on your first machine).

I think you can directly connect your two computers with a crossover(?) cable between their network ports, but I could be wrong so please ask someone else to verify this before you try it!

Sincerely,

Joe T

• 5 weeks later...

If you are familiar with setting up multiple slaves on a single machine then doing so on multiple machines is only a small step further...

The machines must be connected through an ethernet. It can be through a hub/switch/router for multiple machines or using a crossover cable for just one additional machine.

The additional machines will have a different IP address on the network. Set up the slaves on the additional machines with their own IP addresses. Use different port numbers for multiple slaves in the usual way.

On the master machine just add these different IP adresses to the renderama list and they will be picked up in the same way as the same machine slaves. Thats it. Good luck.

I've run 16 machine renderama networks (the max number of connections on the ethernet hub. Data transfer retes became a bit of a bottleneck though.

DaveW

If you are familiar with setting up multiple slaves on a single machine then doing so on multiple machines is only a small step further...

The machines must be connected through an ethernet. It can be through a hub/switch/router for multiple machines or using a crossover cable for just one additional machine.

The additional machines will have a different IP address on the network. Set up the slaves on the additional machines with their own IP addresses. Use different port numbers for multiple slaves in the usual way.

On the master machine just add these different IP adresses to the renderama list and they will be picked up in the same way as the same machine slaves. Thats it. Good luck.

I've run 16 machine renderama networks (the max number of connections on the ethernet hub. Data transfer retes became a bit of a bottleneck though.

DaveW

Thanks for the insight Dave. I'm not very familiar with Renderama. Probably should be by now though. I feel a little behind as much as I've rendered over the years. Just never had a good networked set up of CPU's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Timmo, et al,

I have two Mac Pro machines plugged into a Verizon modem. I run EIAS off machine 2008

and 10-12 slaves off machine 2009 and it is only doing it through the ethernet connector. There

is no firewire connector. It works really well. Almost no effort. They're set up as each having a slave folder,

then launch them one by one. I use five on one HD and five on another HD. Then just make sure Renderama

back on first computer has those correct addresses in there w port numbers 1616-1625 or whatever.

Rich