EIAS9 vs EIAS8 Raytracing

Danford

I made a post about this issue somewhere but I am bringing this up again since it is a big issue for me and it has made me go back to EIAS8 for old projects or anything that requires raytracing.

Although it is a lot faster, the new raytracing/photons methods used in EIAS9 produce worse looking images: kind of like washed out, like something out of cinema4d. This has been pointed out before, the raytracing engine has changed, some people may like it more because it's so fast, or because it suits their render workflows better but to me, images look very different and arguably worse. If you render scenes created in EIAS8 though it becomes much more obvious and unacceptable so that's why I prefer to render them in v8.

Is there some way to accomplish the "brute-force" rendering method or style in EIAS9 so we get the same results as in v8? Even if it means much slower rendering times? I never felt rendering times in v8 were bad. EIAS9 has so many advantages and new features and I really want to use them, but so far it seems to me getting nice looking raytraced images is much harder on EIAS9.

I would love to hear any tips from the developers as to what settings to change or what to do. To illustrate this issue please take a look at the attached images where I think the washed out effect can be clearly seen. Thanks very much in advance.

post-82-0-59619900-1355423290_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-53717200-1355423306_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-50163600-1355423318_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-11993600-1355423331_thumb.jpg

Ola Dan,

I just opened the original EIAS 8 projects and I rendered them with EIAS 9, projects attached, the main change is the Irradiance cache which add “shadows” in the reflections, which are more realistic, but Photons in GI & Secondary mode are using Irradiance too which was not happening in EIAS 8, in the next Camera cycle, we will take a look.

Sorry, EIAS 9 doesnt produce worse looking Images, I cant reproduce the new EIAS 9 renders with EIAS 8.

EIAS 9 renders

The new Photon lessons render projects I uploaded for EIAS 9 was not supposed to be the same as EIAS 8, I tweaked and played a bit.

And we dont need to do any “Bruta-Force”, EIAS 9 is a really faster render engine.

post-5-0-86646100-1355433948_thumb.jpgpost-5-0-10412000-1355433966_thumb.jpg

Raytracing.zip

If you want, I can point a few problems which we had in the EIAS 8 renders using Photons which you posted, I did this project :)

Hope that helps

Thanks

Tom

"Brute Force" is an expression the Igors used in another thread to describe how EIAS8 does raytracing. Kind of like "slow but beautiful". I guess they meant.

I'll look through the changes you made to the demo file, Tomas, and reply back.

I want to use EIAS9 to render my old work files, setups, environments etc, without recreating them all over again, that's all I want.

And trying to reproduce EIAS9 images in EIAS8?? that's a problem I don't have. ;)

Thanks.

Ola Dan,

Thanks, I mean “problems”, when I said, its because I dont see a plain reflection using “GI & Photons” without shadows, I dont know if it will be possible to have it again, since Irradiance is in the core code of Camera 9  now.

About the EIAS 8 project opened in EIAS 9, I only changed in the Photons Tab / Map Mode from GI & Secondary to GI Only, (thats all) - GI Only means = Photons is using Irradiance now.

post-5-0-08061300-1355494534_thumb.png

Original EIAS 8 project attached:

GI_AreaL+Phot+Cust+Reflex_EI8.zip

Thanks

Tom