Going from FormZ 7 to EI v9 with texture maps

S. Houtzager

Hey folks,

Trying to get to the bottom of this. With FZ V7, when exporting to fact "with" a texture map and importing into EI V9, it does not work. The material changes to a purple (always) and the map is not viewable in Electric Image. I tested it so that the map starts as a jpeg so no conversion has to happen. Tried this with FormZ V6.7 and it is the same.

Here is a simple test. http://intuitionusa.com/1/formz.png

Wondering if it is Electric Image's issue or FormZ?

This was FZ's reply as I posted in FZ at the same time.

Steven,

We have not changed the behavior of this export in years, and it has always worked, so I suspect that this is an Electric Image v9 issue. Import the FACT file back into formZ. If the texture shows there -- then report this to EIAS...

Well I imported the fact back into FZ 7 and the maps were there although flipped. Here is the fact and map ready to place into EI. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5048027/Archive.zip

Hi Steven,

A screenshot of your fact export settings might help. I just had some trouble this past weekend just getting the geometry to come through. FormZ changed some settings in the "Decomposition" triangulation options that I found helped me resolve some of the issue I had. I'm not in front of my workstation right now but I'll try to get some of my settings that have worked.

I believe Form-Z hasn't changed their export methods but they've changed the way models are built and triangulated. Some are 4 sided some are deconstructed as 3 sided polys. If I recall correctly EI liked 4 sided faces. Tom I recall there was a link in the forum that showed some base settings out of FormZ to EI. Maybe a new EI9 FormZ workflow thread may be needed.

• 3 weeks later...