American architecture

Buggsy

Hi Everyone,

Had an enquiry from an American customer to do some Artist Impressions. Thought I would try my hand at the architecture.

EIAS naturally, ArchiCAD modeled, OnyxTree plant models and Photoshop for textures and editing. 6-7 hour production time.

Some feedback on the execution of the architectural detail would be good.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=198750220162799&set=a.198749943496160.41958.182068598497628&type=1&theater

Michael

Hi Everyone,

Had an enquiry from an American customer to do some Artist Impressions. Thought I would try my hand at the architecture.

EIAS naturally, ArchiCAD modeled, OnyxTree plant models and Photoshop for textures and editing. 6-7 hour production time.

Some feedback on the execution of the architectural detail would be good.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=198750220162799&set=a.198749943496160.41958.182068598497628&type=1&theater

Michael

Hi Michael,

Nice Render very natural, All these trees are real geometry?

how many polygons is the scene?

Please can you share your renders time / GI settings)?

Thanks

Diego

Thanks for the replies. I should clarify some things though.

The background is my photography and the building, foreground trees and vehicle are 3D models. My intention wasn't to mislead people into thinking it was all polygons. As an Australian building designer I have a good grasp on architectural materials in context with Australian architecture. As I am appealing to an American architectural market I need to gain an appreciation of things I may be representing incorrectly hence the reason for the comment on feedback on execution of the detail. I would love to render a background as good as a photo and one day I may have the skiils to do that.

I am modeling the building with archiCAD which has a library that is American by origin. I have taken the front elevation and floor plans that were supplied and created the model from them. I may be inappropriately placing cladding, materials, windows and details etc in wrong locations simply because I don't understand the 'why' of the materials and architecture. My experience is that it's important the architect feels confident that I understand the detail so the portrayal is correct otherwise I'm only going to appear as a try hard rather than a professional concerned with how the architecture is represented. Ultimately if I have a good grasp on detail and material usage I can successfully model and texture a building down to a detail level that is a good basis to either do a quick job or push the surface details to get closer to photo-real.

The scene is as follows:

2M polygons

GI Primary Ray Count 250

Sampling Area 2x2

Bounces 1

Skylight Intensity 1

1 Radial Light, Intensity 1.2, Shadows Raytrace Soft edge, Light Radius 600 samples 12.

1 Secondary for reflections

Anti-Alias settings 8x8 and 4x4

Approximate rendering time across 4 cameras on an iMac i7 with 20 frame strips is around 30mins

Michael

architecturally, the only things I see that might need attention are the stair railing and some missing flashings. You need a sloping hand rail either inside the squared off railing, or the top rail of the two protruding rails would need to have a sloped top. The entry roof to the horizontal boarding would require a stepped metal flashing. So in reality you'd see a gap between the course of roofing and the horizontal siding. Also, there should be a 2" gap between the siding and the hard surface paving and a 6" gap between the siding and the soft surfaces. But these are real nit-picks.

Last item I'm seeing is the glazing. The windows appear a little too flush with the exterior of the home. In reality I think the glazing might need to be set in about 2". The reality of the construction is the horizontal siding is a veneer over the framing. The glazing would set back in behind the face of the framing and the lap siding would protrude at least 1/2" beyond the framing. Same with the garage doors.

For what it's worth the I find the ArchiCAD libraries to be semi-American. They still seem to have a lot of Euro influence to them. Neil McCann's Real Windows/Doors and Cabinets used to be really good. I'm not sure if he's still developing them?

I know you said you build the model from a set of plans. The plans appear to be venacular to mid-western style of home. The mass of the second floor supported on 4 posts might be problematic structurally in earthquake regions.

I am an architect and have been designing and involved with residential construction in the west and southwestern US for 30+ years. So hopefully this will give you the feed back you were looking for. Sorry I didn't understand your original post.

Thanks archiboy, thats exactly the kind of feedback I'd hoped for.

I wasn't sure of the claddings relationship to the frame and the setback depth of the windows. Do you know what the typical overall thickness of the external walls is and what are the dimensions and components that make up this thickness?

Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

Michael

typical framing is 2x4 nominal (1.5" x 3.5" actual) wood studs. Plus sheetrock @ 1/2" inside and sheathing plus any shearwall outside (1/2" to 1.5" total). In colder climates it might be 2x6 for better insulation, or it might have rigid insulation over the framing (typically 1 or 2"). Assuming a vinyl window frame you can safely assume the glazing would be at least 2" inside of the outer face of the wall exterior finish. Your rendering shows a window trim piece. That typically might be constructed from 3/4" cement board or 1.5" lumber. That trim piece is obviously beyond the finished surface of the exterior wall.

hope that helps.