PixelGrains

thingmaker

I got a chance to work with PixelGrains on a project. It seems promising but I had a difficult time getting it to work. It constantly crashed every time I used it.

Thought it was that I was using too many pixels but I got it down to 20x20 and it still crashed every project. Turns out that if you save a Photoshop image as grayscale and then to .img it will crash 100% of the time. I don't know if this is a bug or common knowledge that you shouldn't use grayscale .img files but hopefully this will help anyone else that's spending hours trying to figure the problem.

The manual is pretty skimpy regarding this plugin. One thing they don't mention but is really cool is that every pixel element that is created corresponds to the the color in the .img file. This makes for some cool effects that would be extremely difficult normally. -Derryl

Hi Derryl,

I worked with PixelGrains last month for a broadcast project. I was using a quicktime movie as a source since I wanted to animate the extrusions. It worked very well. Although the visuals were created as grey scale clips, they were saved as RGB quicktimes. I don't know if the colour space is an issue. If you are using still images as a source, you may want to try JPEG instead of IMG (in RGB colour space).

I hope this helps.

Christian