Urgent Help!

Diego

Hello to all,

I added a new internal hard drive to my main computer and after that, EIAS has not worked more, it shows me these screens.

Imagen2-2.png

Imagen1-2.png

-I've deleted preferences.

-Repaired disk permissions

-I installed completely from 0 EIAS 8

-I also finally removed the hard drive that had installed.

Mac 2 x 3.2 Ghz Quad OSX 10.5.8

I not find a way to re-start my render farm and tomorrow I have clients in my studio.

please any help will be appreciated

Cheers

Diego

Juan here. Wow. Adding a hard disk to a Mac Pro shouldn't produce any ill effects. Is there any other application failing you there? Or is it EIAS only? You could try creating a new user account (via System Preferences - Accounts) and see if EIAS works OK from there.

Does Disk Utility give any disk error warnings when doing a disk verification?

Given that you have that new hard disk available, an extreme measure (but then perhaps the fastest one) would be for you to put the disk back inside, install a new OS X system and EIAS on it and see if it works. If it does, perhaps you could set things so that you can do that meeting tomorrow and solve this problem later on.

I have subscribed to this thread, so I get warned everytime there is a reply. I hope I can help you in some way.

Hola Juan,

All other applications that I have tried works ok it is only EIAS8 that can't access to the files.

Permission Disk Utility give errors like: (sorry is in spanish)

Los permisos difieren en “Library/Application Support/ProApps/Internal Plug-Ins/BrowserKit/iLife.bkplugin/Contents/CodeResourcesâ€: deberían ser -rw-rw-r-- pero son lrw-rw-r-- .

Los permisos difieren en “System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BrowserKit.framework/Versions/A/CodeResourcesâ€: deberían ser -rw-r--r-- pero son lrw-r--r-- .

Los permisos difieren en “System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/LeopardPanels.bundle/Contents/CodeResourcesâ€: deberían ser -rw-r--r-- pero son lrw-r--r-- .

Los permisos difieren en “System/Library/Components/AudioCodecs.component/Contents/CodeResourcesâ€: deberían ser -rw-r--r-- pero son lrw-r--r-- .

Los permisos difieren en “private/var/spool/cups/cache/rssâ€: deberían ser drwxr-xr-x pero son drwxrwxr-x .

Los permisos difieren en “System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/_CodeSignature/CodeResourcesâ€: deberían ser ?--------- pero son ---------- .

Los permisos difieren en “System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/_CodeSignature/CodeResourcesâ€: deberían ser ?--------- pero son ---------- .

I Also tried new user account but, problem persist.

Now Im trying to install a new OS X system in the new hard disk... I'll post here the results.

Thank you very much for your help

Cheers

Diego

I will not be much help here but when you said you trashed the preferences, you trashed the actuals .plist in the library, not the preference folder in the EIAS folder?

Have you also reinstalled the Wibu Key?

There is no Virus protection software running? glup!

I would also try Juanxer fine suggestions.

Hi Richard,

Yes I trashed .plist in library.

it is a Mac and I never used Virus protection...

Wibu key? you mean the the software for the hardward key? not yet..

Thanks for you help

Cheers

Diego

Hola, Diego. Sin problemas con que tengas el sistema en español :). Me extrañaría que fuera un tema de Permisos (que salgan avisos no es necesariamente malo). Estaba pensando más en lanzar una Verificación de Disco, pero también sería raro que se hubieran estropeado las cosas justo cuando instalabas el otro disco. Sigo en inglés para que no se despisten los demás.

Another maintenance procedure is to do a file system check on startup. It goes like this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214-es

Restart the Mac while keeping the keys Command (Apple) and S: this forces the Mac to start in Single User Mode. You'll see the screen go black and lots of Unix text until it stops and gives you a command line symbol: #

then you type: fsck -y (Enter)

This does sort of a Disk Utility's Repair Disk pass without needing to boot from the OS X DVD: if it says that the disk appears to be OK, then it's not a filesystem fault. If it says "file system was modified", type fsck -y (Enter) as many times as it takes until it says that the disk appears to be OK.

Then type: reboot (Enter) to continue booting up OS X, or force a restart with the power key.

Hi Juan,

I've done the fsck check that you recommend and "the disk appers to be OK"

I tryed to install a new OS x system in the new hard disk and give an error on install disk 2, The new disk was the default disk that comes in my new 12 cores and I have installed it in a Octacore machine. seems that the problems never come singly:)

Thank you for your support

Cheers

Diego

Tom help me to see what is wrong with the new disk:

"I think I understood the problem, what happened!!

You have a 8 core machine with your main HD (each hard disk have a ID, when it's a Start-up disk, it's zero), so, if I understood correctly, you installed the main HD from your new machine in the octocore, so, you have two HD with ID zero (start up), your machine become crazy.

To change a HD from ID zero to be HD slave, you need to change a fisical plastic connector in the side of your HD.

You will never have the option to format and install a OSX system in the new HD, if both are in the same machine, the machine will see two start up disks (zero ID)."

Thank you Tom.

Mmm.:(

I'm not quite sure about that. The old Master/Slave dichotomy in ATA/IDE disks isn't applicable to SATA ones (so no "jumpers" needed for that, since the Powermac G5 era). If anything, disk ID ought to be dictated on startup by the SATA port each disk is connected to.

The only typical use of jumpers in SATA disks that I know of is setting older models for 1.5 Gb/s or 3 Gb/s speeds (the G5 towers were limited to 1.5 Gb/s).

Also, it is perfectly possible to put several OS X systems in several hard disks in the same machine. I do it all the time (a main system, a small maintenance system, another resulting from doing backups, etc.).

Now, what I think could really screw things up is using your 12-core OS X system into your 8-core Mac. The OS X that comes with each Mac (be it preinstalled or on DVD) is customized for that Mac (the retail box versions cover all models, but even so the installation process reduces them to a custom fit). I don't think a newer Mac's OS X install will work on an older Mac. You'd need to reinstall.

One question: when you moved that hard disk from the 12-core to the 8-core, did you move just the disk or both the disk and the metal tray it was screwed into? It's just that the Mac Pro seems to recognize the tray's number (it shows it in Disk Utility). Could you have two Trays Number One in the same computer? I don't believe it should produce any problem (if it does, Apple did design this quite idiotically) but…

Ola Juanxer,

Thanks, clear about the new HDs and the conflit about new customized OSX system.

But somehow, as Diego explained me in a recent email, the new HD appears like ID 0, so, in the disk Utility appears two ID 0 start up disks, together with your good note about incompatible OSX system in a old machine, we have a good mess.

Diego told me, after he took of the new problematic HD, something changed in the old Octacore main HD and now EIAS 8 still have this error.

My advice is upgrade his OSX from 10.5.8 to 10.6.3, probably will reset this behavior.

Do you have another idea?

Thanks

Tom

Hola,

I removed the disk until I get to launch the render farm, I am now installing the system on a secondary disk, I hope this solves the problem momentarily.

The disc came in a separate box that the dealer sent me without the metal tray.

Also Tom suggested to me upgrade to OS x 10.6.5 to have a chance to solve the issue.

Thanks a lot for your support

Cheers

Diego

I can't think of anything else to do. Going 10.6.5 is probably a good idea: I'm doing quite well with that OS version myself. Just remember to tell the installer to put both Rosetta and Quicktime 7 in that Mac (it can be done later, anyway), and check that the Mac starts up in 32bit kernel mode or the EIAS hardware key won't work (Apple is defaulting it to 64bit for certain configurations. This affects device drivers only: 64bit apps DO work in 32bit kernel mode). You can check and set that with this small app: http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

Good luck :)

Ola Diego and Juanxer,

from Matt Hoffman:

“That error can be caused by:

1. The contents of the EI Resources folder (where the icon_body files live) are damaged.

2. The EI Resources folder cannot be accessed by EIAS due to a privileges problem (the user no longer

has read and write privileges to the folder).

3. Disk corruption of some kind”

Thanks

Tom

Hello,

I finally updated the system to Snow Leopard and all problems are solved!!!

I have even installed the damn HD and everything works:)

Thanks Juan for the warning on the 32-64 bits start up. Also Tom that was working in a film was all the time to contact me via e-mails thanks my friend.

Thanks to Richard too:)

I can not tell you the great help that was for me to be in communication with you, EIAS is like working in a large virtual studio together, even on Sundays!!!

Now at last it seems that I can concentrate on my new 12-core machine with SSD Drive's, so far I can say this is the first time I can use all the cores of an Apple machine, without losing any rendering speed, even frames with 5 million polygons!

A good Team!

Cheers

Diego

Now at last it seems that I can concentrate on my new 12-core machine with SSD Drive's' date=' so far I can say this is the first time I can use all the cores of an Apple machine, without losing any rendering speed, even frames with 5 million polygons![/quote']

You are so going to enjoy that beast of a machine :P Benchmarks, pretty please! :)