what graphic card for EIAS ?

pic-saint-loup

a normal open GL game card like GTX 460 is good enough for EI, workstation card Fire GL or Quadro have no advantage over those game card in EIAS

Thank's Loon :-)

my PC is not a high-end station, so I will probably try a second hand card like a ATI 4870, it will be good enough. Waiting for EI v9 64bits and a new hardware.

I am going to buy a new Mac in a moth or two, and the question is: should I invest in a Pro machine, thinking about the fact that I can have a free choice of PCI Express graphics cards, even multiple.

Or an iMac 27 inch that cots half of the cheapest Mac Pro including a 27 inch screen.

Or would buying an iMac pluss a cheap Windows machine with a good graphics card, using that only for slave rendering be an option?

There aren't that many Pro cards for the Mac Pro, and they are always inferior offers to what's available for PCs, I'm afraid. My guess is that a PC would be a better EIAS workstation, price/performance-wise. That said, a Mac Pro is a formidable all-around workstation/render farm.

But then perhaps a high-end iMac with integrated SSD (to get RAID 0-like speeds where needed) would be more than enough. Their GPUs are supossed to be rather decent nowadays. And perhaps you would be able to ask some Apple shop to let you test drive one of their machines in situ (by installing EIAS and playing with some projects of yours to see how it feels).

A good game card will work perfectly with EI, you can get a nice nVidia one for $150 or so that will have dual DVI out and about 1gig ram onboard. ATI cards have traditionally not been as compatible, though I've got an HP that came with one that ran just fine... before I replaced it with a GeForce.

The higher-end Quadros and Fire cards are a major hassle to run, I found a previous system became less stable when I switched from a top-of-the-line game card to a high-end Quadro. With the workstation cards you have to be much more careful about which drivers you're running. Everything gets much more finicky.

I noticed no difference at all in After Effects, btw. I was able to turn on more effects in the OGL prefs, but previews and scrubs were just as atrocious as ever when using OGL Preview modes.

With a good game card, you can still turn on AA settings on an app-by-app basis - so you can still get better looking views to some extent.

Hi all

I want to change my graphic card. I am on PC machine.

do you think it will be better with a C.A.D. card like that : ATI FireGL V7700 compare with a same price game's card ?

thx

- -

psl

Hi all

I want to change my graphic card. I am on PC machine.

do you think it will be better with a C.A.D. card like that : ATI FireGL V7700 compare with a same price game's card ?

thx

- -

psl

I can't really speak to the performance vs a gaming card but because of Houdini requirements I run a v3750 and a v7600 here and both run EIAS v8 without issue on 64bit windows.