Fruit Bowl Revisited

Buggsy

Hi Everyone,

There appears to be rumblings of change everywhere so I thought this was the best place to show this.

Wanted to show my revisited rendering for the CG Lighting Challenge "Fruit Bowl". The lighting challenge ended some time ago but I liked the challenge of the contrasting textures and variation of approaches required to successfully represent organic materials.

I was challenged by Ian Waters comments on my first go at the challenge that my attempt was "almost there". I can't find Ians original comments so please excuse me if I have miss quoted you Ian. Point is it challenged me to dig deeper and research loads of internet pictures of all the fruit I have in the scene and to stretch myself further .....again.

Well what an adventure. Truck loads of preview snapshots and utilisation of just about every material attribute and I think I'm just about there. There are things I want to do but don't know how to so will have to do some investigating so this is it for now.

Here's the old one

http://www.goodbuildingdesign.com.au/Fruit_Bowl_Final_Lighting.jpg

Here's the revisited one

http://www.goodbuildingdesign.com.au/Fruit_Bowl_Revisited.jpg

The only editing done outside of EIAS was levels in photoshop. Thats it!

Hope you like the improvements.

Michael

Hi Michael Really Great . I have never see theses.WE need to Bring the challenge idea over here now it seems, so we can all learn from each other. What were the details of this challenge? Because you say it was a lighting Challenge but your material settings look different. Was a model provided by someone in the challenge. Any way to share the project fie so we could pick it apart? Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

All CG Society Lighting Challenges are available here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=185

All the model files to these Lighting Challenges are found here:

http://www.3drender.com/challenges/

You just download the model files, import and or tidy them up and then start lighting and texturing. The challenges come with a kind of script as to what type of mood is to be achieved and a selection of the best renderings are posted on www.3drender.com

I am planning on creating a download on my website so EI users can access them. The only problem is that I heavily use the NX Shader which was a Konkeptoine purchase back prior to EI acquiring it. I did set-out to improve this project so I could make it available to anyone who wanted to pull it apart. I could just provide it as is and the NX shader would just be dropped upon opening the project. At least the lighting set-up would be accessible. I might have to get Jeremy Birns approval to do this though.

I think we would have to get Jeremy Birns approval to do these challenges here. It might be considered as highjacking the CG Society Challenges.

Not sure what Tomas has to say about this. Maybe he could give his opinion on it.

Michael

Hi Michael ,Thanks for the info. I have all the Konkeptoine plugins except the last 3 David came out with that was about 30 which only 15 have been made as updated . I don't Know anything about CG Society except the name cause I almost have never gone there. I didn't think about that problem with Jeremy's approval. I don't mean bring their challenges here I mean make our own by our members. Thanks

Mark

Jeremy is a very prominent actor in CG Lighting. His books are excellent and the critics he provides in the lighting challenges are really the main reason to participate. We will probably have challenges and other contests here but, in the mean time, Jeremy's Lighting Challenges are unbeatable!

Michael, nice job by the way. Your experience will come to mind if we do our own lighting challenges...