How nooby can you get

jimbarnes

Well this is sure to come as a REAL noob question to some, but since there is no answer on the forums (yes I searched) and it is not explained in the documentation (yes I searched) can someone explain to me what camera slaves are. Since they are available on the downloads page I assume I need them, or do I?

Are camera slaves the same as Renderama slaves, and if they are why arent the downloads called Renderama slaves?

Thanks

Ignore this I downloaded the 30MB package and discovered they are indeed the same as Renderama Slaves.

However it doesn't explain why they aren't called Renderama Slaves on the download page nor why it isn't clarified in the docs or on the site!

cheers

Thought I'd respond to this question anyway so if someone does a search that it comes up to let them know how a user is setting up their slaves etc. Excuse me if it's explained somewhere else.

Camera is being modified by the development team of EIAS but the current version 8.0 is not multi-threaded. The good thing though is that there is Renderama which can take advantage of all the processors that exist, not only on the computer your on but also connected to your network.

For instance I have 6 macintosh computers in my home and I can hook them all up and use their respective power to get a still or an animation done.

If you have multiple computers over a network you need a Camera application and the Renderama Slave application on each computer along with EI sockets etc in one folder. Then you open each Renderama slave and give them all a different port number which you then add to your Renderama Application on the computer your controlling your animation/still from. Then open each instance of Camera and assign up to 2000 MB of memory to each Camera in the pull down menu. If you have a computer that has multiple processors you need multiple instances of this. See attached image below.

For me I have 2 Intel Quad Core Mac's each with 8GB of RAM so I create 4 new folders in my EIAS 8.0 application folder on the hard drive on each computer (I have EIAS installed on both computers). I normally use the Mac Pro for the setup, texturing, animating, Renderama etc and then divide the frame strip total under "Render Information:Network", by the number of processors that I have on all computers. If you have older computers I normally divide the number depending on how their individual performance goes attempting to spread the workload according to the overall weekness of the render farm. For animation the same thing applies only that the "Frame Strip Total" function has no effect, as one single frame of the animation is rendered on each processor.

Michael

post-143-13269393666875_thumb.pngpost-143-13269393667422_thumb.pngpost-143-13269393667759_thumb.png

Ola Jim Barnes and Michael,

Thanks for your explanation.. :)

The Mac and Pc slaves files are Slaves ready to be copied to any partition of your computer or a Slave machine.

Dont forget only to copy 3rd party plug-ins and shaders to your Slave folders.

The great side of this Combo (Renderama + Slaves + Camera), you will have a unlimited number of Free render nodes, your limits will be only How many machines and Ram you have.

Please, take a look - Renderama Synced Video Tutorial by Ian Waters

http://www.eias3d.com/category/video-tutorials/eias-workflow/page/2/

Thanks

Tom