The Platter on Google Wave

RichardJoly

Ever heard of Google Wave? It's a new communication tool from Google Labs with lots of promises. Bear is testing it as an option to Hotline. Check it out, nice place to hang around.

Hi All-

First off, the Platter is still around for those of you who used to use it; it still uses Hotline (yeah, I know, dead software...), and there are osX versions of HL you can download (I can send you a link if needed). The proper address for the platter is:

platter.wombatstudios.com:6666

Old logins/passwords should still work, and I can always look up logins (and reset passwords) as needed.

It's mostly just chat now, as I host the server out of my basement (and I don't want to give up my own bandwidth to HL), but chat can still be worth it. It's not EI centric - probably hasn't been for several years now - but it's reasonably friendly to all 3D apps and BS in general.

However, we also started using Google Wave as an option to Hotline, with mixed results. Some have issues with it's performance and/or interface - and it's a far different beast than Hotline - but purely as a chat server, I think it has some promise (and also allows people to get in through firewalls generally). For access to the Google Wave chat, you need to get a Wave account:

http://wave.google.com

Once you have that, email me - or send me a message through Wave and I'll

add you into the chat room:

bearthw@googlewave.com

Maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's an interesting test, and I think it's good to continue the community spirit, however we can.

--Bear