NEW WINDOWS USER Questions

Mark Johnston

Hi the great deal on V8 at EITECH got to me and I got 2 new copies and had one send to each of my brothers. One uses a Mac and has photoshop and after effects, the same as me, so no problem. The other has a couple of different windows machines the newest one some kind of laptop with a AMD 2.5 GH cpu 6 gigs RAM and 1 gig video ram , windows 7 64 bit. He doesn't have photoshop or something like after effects. So this got me wondering what kind of freeware programs could help him or is this just not going to work.I was thinking blender has some kind of compositor and is Gimp going to work as photoshop replacement. Thanks for any help.

Mark

Some folks have reported having good luck with this companies products:

http://fxhome.com/

They're sort of After Effects lite, for folks on a budget.

Ramen is a free, open source compositor. However, it's currently only on Linux and Macintosh, and requires you pull down the various source code libraries and compile it yourself. I am keeping an eye on Ramen's progress, as it looks like (for me anyway) it could be just the solution I've been seeking.

http://ramenhdr.sourceforge.net/index.html

Definitely Quicktime Pro. Well worth the $30.oo to purchase.

Best way to go is to render out an image sequence, which is exactly like a movie, just one, single frame at a time. Then import the image sequence into Quicktime Pro and convert to .mov, .avi, or whatever you might need.

Reasons this works the best: in case of a software crash, re-rendering only has to happen from the last, finished frame. If a crash occurs while rendering to Quicktime (or other movie file) you've lost the whole thing. Also, a single frame can be opened in Gimp or Photoshop for retouching, there's better quality with less compression for stills. You've got a lot more flexibility down the line. If you start with a movie file, your downstream flexibility is limited.

Hope you and your brother enjoy 3D with EIAS.

Hi KurtF Great things to know . Thanks for the info .I got a copy for my brother cause the deal was insane to pass up . He's never used a program like this I hope to open his eyes to the great things you can do . He uses a cad program of some kind so I think he'll get right in and love it if he gives it a chance. He's got a couple of sons who expressed that they would like to learn it if he doesn't.My other brother has a few other 3d programs and I have always tried to get him into EIAS but even at this great price he wouldn't do it so. I said oh I can own them and let them use them. If they don't use them I want them back.

Thanks Mark====== I think this software can change lives!!!!

A great tool for conversions to/from Quicktime and other formats is freeware MPEG Streamclip. The author, who is a hero of mine (he produced OS X drivers for the oldie MiroMotion videocards, with uncompressed video abilities!!!), takes extra care to correct Quicktime's colourspace antics.

Quicktime Pro, per se, only activates those extra exporting and editing features in Quicktime Player (which probably implies there are some royalty issues involved in that). Quicktime's transcoding abilities, as such, are available to any app that wants to take advantage of it without needing to upgrade to Pro. That said, it isn't that expensive.

Mark,

I'm one of the ones using VisionLab Studio from fxhome.com. You can download the program for a free trial (watermarked). If you decide you want the program, look for it on ebay listed by TubeTape. They are an authorized reseller in the US. I got it for about half price, and it included a 9' x 12' green screen.

Ross

If you decide you want the program, look for it on ebay listed by TubeTape. They are an authorized reseller in the US. I got it for about half price, and it included a 9' x 12' green screen.

Ross

Nice tip, thanks for pointing this out.

Also - happy to report that a Windows (64 bit) version of Ramen is up and available. The developer continues to move forward porting some OpenFX filters to work in Ramen, including the defocus filter from Blender:

defocus Node

Looking good for the freelance compositor who needs node based compositing.