Area light spinning wheel...

GeordieJames

Hi all

I'm working on an architectural project which to all intent and purposes is quite small (about 31MB EI file). I've been setting things up quite happily but I've run into a problem.

I added a light into the scene and when I change it from the default radial to area I get the spinning wheel of death !

I've reopened the file a couple of times and in the last attempt I switched off most of the objects in the file. Added the light in, changed it to area and hey presto it worked.

I then went to switch on just the glass objects in the file so I could line the area light up and again...the spinning wheel of death.

Is there any potential things I could look at to fix this ?

One thing I must say, and it always causes me to scratch my head is the scale of the file is set so 1 granger unit = 1 millimetre. In my head this is 1:1 but should I even be trying that ? I know Ian and many others use 1 granger unit = 1 cm.

Does this for example have an adverse effect on photon calculations ? Will it have to generate more to cover the same area ?

I should say that the only reason I now work to 1GU to 1MM is because at last upgrade of FormZ it switched to exporting FACT at whether setting you have (and yes I'm too idle to keep changing it).

Could my problems be just that ? I hope not as I spent a long time scaling a legacy project to this new setting and I'd hate to have to do it again.

Yours frustrated

James

I will Tomas, thanks.

Just as an update, I just opened the file, switched off all the geometry, set the radial light to area, got it into position, then tried to switch the geometry back on and it started spinning.

I'd saved the file just before trying to switch on the geometry so I opened it and now it won't open - blank project windows and the spinning wheel.

Could this sort of thing be caused by bad RAM ?? Is there a way of checking RAM and whether its good or bad ?

Cheers

James

Ola James...

I just had a Deja vu, Did you have updated recently your OSX system?

Because, I did this some time ago and everytime I used some EIAS more complex scene, my machine started to spinning wheel...

Is this occurring only inside EIAS? or in the entire system?

If is only on EIAS, please, collect your scene, I want to check out.

Thanks

Tom

No update as far as I know. I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2167) on a 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, with 9GB of Ram

Not seen the same issue in any other programme. I have seen the spinning wheel with area lights before, way back in Beta when I used to try to duplicate multiple area lights.

I'll collect and forward for you to look at.

It may take some time to upload as the archive is 241.7 meg

Cheers

James

just started to upload, this may take a while so I'm leaving for the day - hopefully it will be there at some point....

It will be in the UserFTP/BugFolder/AnimatorBugFolder

Title 'GeordieJames_SpinningWheel.zip'

This contains a readme file that identifies how to recreate the error

Thanks again

James

Hi Juanxer

It does as it happens, I have the Heliodon in there that uses Xpressionist - is that a problem you've found ?

James

Juanxer

Just deleted Xpressionist out the file and it runs perfectly !! Fantastic....although I can't have my nicely positioned sun animated over time :-(

Do you know if I can export the values that Xpressionist generates and then re-import them as animation data without Xpressionist being active ? If you can a simple step by step to ease my weary brain would be appreciated.

Thanks again though - it gets me going again.

Tomas - is this a known bug ??

James