Global Reflection v. Raytrace

Chenarch

Hi Richard.

The difference is this...

World Reflection is a phong based reflection environment (just like fake reflection map).

You can ignore this tab if you are raytracing.

The RT environment is reflected as the "background" for any material with raytraced reflections.

These work with regular images, as well as HDRI files (.HDR and .EXR)

High dynamic range files wil give bright values (greater than 1.0) and have the most potential for mimicking reality ;)

Hope that helps ;)

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply!

If I load a Light Probe into the Raytrace tab of "World" I can use .img or .hdr... correct?

These settings would be unrelated to the GI box "glossy" settings, which are an actual response to the sky map that's loaded. Is that right?

Do I need to go into the "reflectivity tab" of each material and set it to "normal" and "use global reflection" or "use environmentor is this irrelevant if I am not using global reflection... ?

Also, I have enclosed render using .hdr. The scale of the reflections is really huge and blurry and not realistic... I must be doing something wrong. The .hdr is from a Dosch disc.

Thanks!

Richard

post-193-13269393663157_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard,

Yes, you should be able to use any supported image format in the World Raytrace tab, even jpegs, QT .mov, etc.

The GI "glossy" setting filters the adaptive skymap (hdr or other image loded into the skymap list) through the "specular" channel of all materials.

This way you can have specular highlights on "plastic" materials that corresponds to the light sources in the hdr image.

In each materials reflectivity tab you need to set the mode to "normal" to enable raytrace reflections.

This will automatically enable the material to "see" the image file in the World Raytrace tab.

The "environment" and global reflection controls are not needed.

Most likely the reflection looks blurry because your windows are a flat plane, and will only reflect a small portion of a spherical environment.

Dave