Where to find this specific 3d scene ?

vrusch

Hi Guys,

On the web, I keep bumping into this oriental 3d rendering of a specific room.

It seems to be a reference scene that was being used to compare GI renderings on different platforms / applications. But maybe I am wrong, and this was just done by one 3d artist.

Does anyone know, if and where I could download this 3d scene ? It looks japanese.

I would like to do a render in EIAS.

Cheers, Bert.

oriental_room.jpg

Hi Tom,

Thanks for investigating.

I invested another hour this morning and I finally found a working link.

I was right. This was a light tutorial from 2005, done by somebody from Italy at the treddi.com forum. I just found it 10 minutes ago, so I need some time to read all the threads. If I can find any spare time, I will try and make an EIAS project version out of this. This should be interesting. I am still on EIAS 7, and would like to see some results from you guys, using the EIAS 8 version.

http://www.treddi.com/forum/topic/8436-interior-lighting-in-mental-ray/

For anyone out there interested, here are the scene files :

http://www.treddi.com/upload/tutorial/dagon_mentalray/tut_jap_obj.zip

http://www.treddi.com/upload/tutorial/dagon_mentalray/tut_jap_mb.zip

http://www.treddi.com/upload/tutorial/dagon_mentalray/tut_jap_3ds.zip

To be continued ...

Cheers, Bert.

Hi Bert, Tom, Everybody,

thanks for the links of this nice scene. I tried the obj file and it worked. Direct import into EIAS.

And here is my EIAS 8 version:

post-102-13269393656186_thumb.jpg

I used one sunlight (spot with softshadows, without photons) and one area light with photon map.

If someone is interested in, I could upload the EIAS prj file. Unfortunatly all group names are in german, but it is already a little bit organized :)

Michael

Michael,

As always, you are faster than lightning ...

The image looks really nice ! Could you match the camera's perspective a bit more to equal the original treddi.com image ?

It would be nice to do some image comparison.

Oh, and yes, much appreciated if you could make the project available for download.

Cheers, Bert.

Hi, many thanks for your kind words.

The prj is here:

http://architekten.werkhaus-nuernberg.de/EIAS/tut_jap.zip

and this is a view like the tutorial pic: (Maybe a little bit too dark.)

post-102-13269393656728_thumb.jpg

There are happening funny things with the table feet. Maybe to much reflection on the table? Or a wrong refraction index? Or is it like in real world? :huh:

Michael

FelixCat you are welcome, and you are right the glass is 100 % transparent (with Fresnel Term on). I should try it with less transparency (like in real world).

I' m wondering why the backside foot of the table disappears within the glass. Maybe this has something to do with the Fresnel term or too much reflections?

I had no time yet to check this, but I will do it soon.

There is also a smoothing problem in the scene. The wooden parts in the walls and the small cubes are too much rounded.

Switching off 'Smoothing across faces' in the group info window solves this. I tested it with the small cubes on the front table.

The prj file contains only free textures and EIAS shaders. Therefore you can use it as you want to.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I noticed the smoothing "problem" as well, in many objects in the scene.

Unchecking the "smoothing across" box is a great help.

Do you (or anyone else) know, how you have to proceed if you want to do this operation for let's say 25 objects at once ? Or do I have to uncheck them one by one ?

Regards, Bert.

Tom, thank you!

What I have done is:

1. Duplicated the Sun Spot Light (to get a independent Glow/Fog light), with enable highlight/illumination unchecked and inner cone angle set to 0

Generate photon map unchecked

post-102-1326939365829_thumb.png

2. Glow version:

post-102-13269393658728_thumb.png

3. Fog version:

post-102-1326939365907_thumb.png

I wanted to get more detailed rays, but without luck. Perhaps this could be achieved vie the light projection tab? I will try this.

Michael

Hi Tom, smoke is a good idea. I will try it.

The light projection seems not to work well. I tried an old sample project from the EIAS website (Projector Light) and this project also didn't work properly here with EIAS 8 on a iMac OSX 10.6.2. Maybe user error! I don't know.

Anyway. Lets try some smoke.

Michael

Hi Mark,

rendertime here is 30 min with 2 cameras (imac 2,6).

But i didn't optimize the project for faster rendertime. My settings are:

GI Primary rays: 400

GI sampling: 4*4

Area Light primary rays: 300

Area Light secondary rays: 150

AA: 8*8

Sampling 2*2

I' m sure that there are a few values that could be chenged for faster rendering with the same qualitiy.

... not valid photonmap ...

I don't know if within a collected project the photonmap path is updated. If not, you would have to do this manually.

Michael