Some recent sci-viz

splitpoint

I did some 3d map work for "Beautiful Places In HD with Tony Farley" over at On Networks that has been recently released. I created relief map animations in the "Hiking: Crater Lake" and "Hiking: Mount St Helens" episodes last year in EIAS 7. You can now view those episodes online here:

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/beautiful-places-in-hd

If you have a short attention span my stuff is at 00:45 in Crater Lake and at 01:23 in Mt St Helens.

Enjoy!

Al

Hi Richard,

Data came from the USGS. Both maps started out in geotiff format along with several 4k scanned images of the topographic maps from the area. I converted the geotiff's to dem format and used Polytrans to convert to fact files. I took the topo scans and stitched them together in photoshop and then used them as the texture lining them up by eye in EI. Those animations were rendered in HD so the map textures had to be huge. The terrain meshes came in around 2-3 million polygons a piece if memory serves. EI rendered those frames at about 23 seconds a frame at 1080p.