some existing interface confusions

Hi to All,

I'd like to make a point on some existing confusions (interface) which make me crazy and I suggest to take a look on them.

1. Interface of Animator in general is very confusing. The good example of that is "zooming" which is different almost in each window. How is possible that I have to use different keys to zoom in floor plan window, camera window, image window or link editor window, and this are all window of the same application. It is not the same if I click on loupe icon in floor plan window, or in link editor window, and so on ...

2. Animating camera or certain object is not the same. If I click on the middle of camera icon on the certain keyframe I will moving camera position only in this keyframe, if I do this with object the whole path will moving.

3. Scaling the parent of objects. If I select the parent of objects, I can move (transform) and rotate the whole group, but scaling will work on each object of the parent separately.

4. in the "object material window" under Geometry, choosing the dissolved option has no effect on preview

This are just a few things which illustrate the confusion interface of Animator. The solution for this might be to make the possibility for users to make his own shortcuts.

Regards

David

Ola David,

If I understood well your requests:

EIAS have all these features...

1) I always used the same comands to all windows (ISO view ports, Camera, Texture window, Link window and so on..)

- if you use command + Space bar (both pressed) and move the mouse = zoom in or zoom out

- with option pressed and you click the “loupe icon”, its a fit to window command

- with option pressed and you drag a area with your mouse in any view, you will Zoom in the specific area selected.

- space bar pressed when you move the mouse, its a Pan in any window..

After that you have all combos to control Camera view port.

2) If I understood right, you want to move a entire path of your camera motion, its simple:

- select all Camera Key frames in the project window

- put in your time line in one of the Camera keyframes

- press T to choose the transfor option (move)

- with 3 keys pressed in the same time (option+command+V), move one of the axis of the Camera gnome or move the center of the camera

All Reference and Camera path will move togheter.

3) Select your parent which you want to scale in the project window

- Open the Joint Editor (Link window)

- go to Inherit tab

- check the Inherit Scale check box

- Press and hold Control Key in the keyboard and click with the Right button of your 3 mouse button, will appear a new dialog.

- Choose set offspring (means it will make all childrens of your parent be able to scale togheter)

- Scale your parent, everybody scalling togheter

- if you want this permanent

- go to EIAS preferences / Import & Data tab / Object sub-tab /

- check Default Inherit Scale

- Voila (no more troubles with scale)

4) Dissolved geometry slider

- Apply a texture with alpha to a Ubershape plane in the diffuse tab

- copy & paste the same texture from Diffuse map area to Clipping map area

- in the clip map texture filter tab change the use channel pop-up to Alpha only

- If you change the Clip map Factor in the special tab of your clip map texture, example 1.0

- do a snapshot render and verify your alpha channel of this particular snapshot

- move your Dissolved slider to 0.5 and render

- move your Dissolved slider to 1.0 and render

Dissolved slider will increase the Clip map factor.

I really hope these answers make your life easier...

Thanksss

Tom

Hi Tomas,

I was not asking how to do something, but I was trying to illustrate with some examples, how confusing is working in Animator. So my suggestion is to take a look on such procedures and make them to have the same look and result in all situations. That the same logic is used in different situations. This will make interface more user friendly.

Let us look your answers

1)

-OK I use command + Space bar (both pressed) and moving the mouse

-in Top View (zooming) yes

-in Side View (zooming) super

-in Front View (zooming) super

-in Camera View (orbit) ups ups ups...

-let us press the option key and click the “loupe iconâ€

-in Top View (fit to window) ok

-in Side View (fit to window) super

-View Image window (nothing) ups ups ups...

-let us click the “loupe iconâ€

-in Top View (zoom out) ok

-in Side View (zoom out) super

-in Link Editor View (nothing) ups ...

-in View Image window for zoom out you have to press ctrl key

Q: Do we use the same application?

2)

This was just the example. I know how to move the entire path of camera. The problem is that I expect the same behavior if I click on the middle of camera icon or in the middle of an object..

3) Thanks, I didn't know that.

4)

I just expect that moving the Dissolved geometry slider has effect on preview of the material.

Regards

David

Hi David,

We've been ironing out some of these legacy inconsistencies over the last few versions and we will continue to do so as we improve these areas of the app. Thanks for pointing them out :)

We also appreciate that improved material previews is an often requested feature and is firmly logged as a feature request.

Ian