Glow Objects

redcode

Just a quick (possibly stupid) question:

Is the radiosity tab still in EIAS version 8? I've looked all over for it and can't find it. Was it replaced by the photons?

Situation:

I have an axe. The edge of it glows. I want the glowing edge of the axe to illuminate a portion of the scene. Is that something simple or do you have to go through hoops to do it? It feels like it should be a one or two check box procedure with perhaps a slider. If I have to load in maps, create radiosity solutions, and do all manner of other contortions to get this simple behavior...

(I guess I could cheat and place a light right there, but why wouldn't I be able to just click a box in that case?)

And to get the glow to actually..., well, glow was so non-intuitive it pained me to have to go through it. Sorry, but the frustration just jumped in.

I've faked a glow using a light. As you can see it looks pretty nice, but is this the solution?

post-21-13269393607154_thumb.jpg

post-21-13269393607422_thumb.jpg

Just a quick (possibly stupid) question:

Is the radiosity tab still in EIAS version 8? I've looked all over for it and can't find it. Was it replaced by the photons?

Situation:

I have an axe. The edge of it glows. I want the glowing edge of the axe to illuminate a portion of the scene. Is that something simple or do you have to go through hoops to do it? It feels like it should be a one or two check box procedure with perhaps a slider. If I have to load in maps, create radiosity solutions, and do all manner of other contortions to get this simple behavior...

(I guess I could cheat and place a light right there, but why wouldn't I be able to just click a box in that case?)

And to get the glow to actually..., well, glow was so non-intuitive it pained me to have to go through it. Sorry, but the frustration just jumped in.

I've faked a glow using a light. As you can see it looks pretty nice, but is this the solution?

Thanks for all the positive responses. I have solved the problem thanks to Ian's tutorials.

• 6 years later...

Ola Viking!

Did you watch them here?

http://www.eias3d.com/category/video-tutorials/render/

glows:

1) do a selection set with your groups

2) add a master material with the glow feature slider changed and the color selected

3) in the world window / glow tab / add a layer and choose the glow groups selection set you did 

4) with the selection set selected, change the glow Radius and intensity.

dont forget to have glow check box enabled in the render window

thanks

tom