EIAS to AE workflow...

Diego

Hello to all,

After Effects CS3 can not read PSD sequences that come from EI_Layers.shl.

RPF files made via render farm can not be stitched in AE CS3.

I do not know if anyone has managed to work in CS4.

Has anyone found any solution to this problem?

Please I need a help to understand how to use EI_Layers and .RPF files in AE CS3.

Cheers

Diego

Diego,

I have no problem reading the .psd sequence coming from EI_Layers.shl in AfterEffects CS3 but I cannot import the RPF sequence the same way, I get an error message. I never used RPF so I cannot help you with this part of the problem.

Here is my project with rendered files (53Mb)

http://www.rdnmultimedia.com/eias/CS3_EIAS_test.zip

post-17-13269393580589_thumb.png

That's the same error message the original EIAS 6.x RPF_Saver shader would produce. Later, a revised version of that shader would correct that. A month ago, the Igors released a new version that corrects a bug in the Normals channel of RPFs.

I tried dragging and dropping your RPFs folder into AE CS3 and CS4: both get stuck into an endless beachball as a result.

Rerendering with that last version of RPF_Saver, the resulting RPFs work OK on both AE CS3 and CS4 :). You can get it here: http://www.eias3d.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=125

Diego,

I have no problem reading the .psd sequence coming from EI_Layers.shl in AfterEffects CS3 but I cannot import the RPF sequence the same way, I get an error message. I never used RPF so I cannot help you with this part of the problem.

Here is my project with rendered files (53Mb)

http://www.rdnmultimedia.com/eias/CS3_EIAS_test.zip

Hello Richard,

Thank you very much for the test.zip, helped me to discover that the problem is when I use the Renderama.

When I render with the local Camera, I can read the .PSD sequence in AE_CS3, but if I render via Renderama, I can not import the sequence on CS3. the files appears in grey.:huh:

I do not know if it's a bug or user error, please could you do a test to see if it happens to you?

Thank you for your time:)

Cheers

Diego

That's the same error message the original EIAS 6.x RPF_Saver shader would produce. Later, a revised version of that shader would correct that. A month ago, the Igors released a new version that corrects a bug in the Normals channel of RPFs.

I tried dragging and dropping your RPFs folder into AE CS3 and CS4: both get stuck into an endless beachball as a result.

Rerendering with that last version of RPF_Saver, the resulting RPFs work OK on both AE CS3 and CS4 :). You can get it here: http://www.eias3d.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=125

Hola Juanxer,

I saw your thread on CGTalk, that Igors corrects a bug in the Normals channel of RPFs. Thank you!

I have tried it and it works very well (Normals) but I can not read the whole sequence in AE CS3. the files appears in grey in the import window. Only if I drop a RPF file into AE I can read but the files are not stittched.

Please could you tell me if that happen to you too?

Cheers

Diego

Yes, it does too. :(

I think AE is a bit troublesome regarding RPFs. Some months ago I had enormous problems relinking a RPF set in a project to a new folder of rerendered RPFs (it would link them if I substituted the footage and reopened the project, but I wouldn't be able to do it via the Replace Footage file dialog).

I guess I could send some sample files to Adobe. I have no idea how fast they will answer.

We have similar issues with AE, but not just with RPF files, we get it with many file types, we sometimes have to reboot to get AE to reload files (often hitting 'reload' will crash AE if files have been replaced over a network).

Bizarre,

Ian

I am currently doing a 45 minutes production, every time I need a mask of a particular model, I must to re-render the scene because EI_Layers does not make readable files in Renderama mode. Photoshop even has trouble reading EI_Layers .PSD's that coming from Render Farm (Renderama). (in the real world always use the Render Farm)

This brings me big inconvenience and lost time in my work. I have to recalculate BlobMaker, Encage and many other things every time I need a mask:(

Please, Juanxer and Ian do you have this problem? do you have found a solution?

I need help to improve my mask workflow because I'm a little behind in my deadlines.

Thank you in advance:)

Diego

The only way I've found to read the Renderama's .PSD sequences in AE is to load them in Photoshop and save as to a new folder, not a very elegant way to solve it and quite uncomfortable when you have 900 frames in each shot, but at the moment is the only way.

The extraneous thing is that this problem only occurs if you use Renderama, but with the local Camera it works OK.

Would be good that EIAS programmers know this issue if they can do something in the near future, AE is a very popular program.

Cheers

Diego

Hi Diego,

Yes, send us a project where this doesn't work for you, I'm working on a Nintendo ad at the moment, and I've got all the layers into AE CS3 from EIAS (via renderama) with no problems.

Best,

Ian

Hi Tomas, Ian,

if it is working for you in V8 then surely I have something wrong on my AE CS3, I have reinstalled it but the problem persists.

I'll send a project.

Thank you for your support

Cheers

Diego

Hi,

Here is the sample file:

www.imago-d.org/EIAS/EI_LayersTestDiego.zip

If I render this project through "Local Camera" I can read the .psd sequence in AE CS3

If I render the project through "Renderama" I can not read the .psd sequence in AE CS3

Thank you for help.

Diego