Converting 3DS 2010 File

Nutley

Thanks for the help guys,

I looked into Polytrans before asking the question but 'didn't fancy it' becuase it's a PC application and I'm on a Mac (and haven't set up Virtuial PC on this machine yet) however I have now installed the demo on a PC we have here, and when I tried to open the file I have, polytrans basically does not recognise the file as a .3DS file.

I'm wondering whether I have been sent something that isn't actually the Model geometry (does Max work in the same way as Animator, you have a geometry file and a scene file?)

The size of the file I have been given is a whopping 94.6MB, which seems fairly large, but who knows. I also have along with this file another folder containing all of the textures - pretty standard stuff inside.

The main file is called MS_Server_Texture_01.3DS

Inside the textures folder the only thing different from the norm is a file called MS_Server_Material_Library.mat

This might all just be a red-herring that I need to go back to the supplier with. If I do go back, what should I be asking for, as 'traditionally' a .3DS file is no problem at all for me to use.

I haven't tried that Ian but that's a good idea.

Presumably if it's a 'proper' file it will open in the demo but (I guess) I won't be able to save the file?. At least then I can work out whether the file I have been sent is worth a damn or not.

Hi Nutley,

Is it possible that its a .max that someone renamed? Or maybe a .zip? Polytrans has an auto-recognize mode that will try everything to open it. The Max workflow and plugin for p/t is one of the most actively maintained by Okino, so as Ian says - if p/t doesn't open it then the file has a problem.

I haven't tried that Ian but that's a good idea.

Presumably if it's a 'proper' file it will open in the demo but (I guess) I won't be able to save the file?. At least then I can work out whether the file I have been sent is worth a damn or not.