Speed Tree animation import

meester smeeth

Hey

Has anyone been able to import SpeedTree trees with animation?  The MDD plug would do it perfectly but I'm having trouble getting a mesh with a matching vertex count into EI....

It's wierd as Max and Polytrans both show the same vertex count needed as shown in the MDD export but EI always shows a few hundred too many.

If anyone's had success it would be great to know your workfow!

Al

Hey Al,

I tried this a while back using .fbx and got it kind of working in EIAS. The animation worked but it was not quite right. Sorry but this was not my thing at the time so most problems were most likely my fault.

The reason I am answering is just to inform you of using .fbx from Speedtree into EIAS. It works.

I have not used the MDD plug.

Pretty vague answer but maybe it will help!

Thanks Greg, Yes I see Fbx does work in general but not from the latest version of speedtree in my tests up to now. I can take the speedtree fbx to polytrans and re-export to fbx and it will then import.  Only problem seems to be the vertex count changing on import to EIAS for some reason.  If I understand MDD correctly, it holds animation for each vertex/point in the mesh, so the mesh needs the same or maybe a very close vertex count.

The preview in Ei shows it working as it should, but only with a display of points.  If the import would keep the vertex count from speedtree, this would be a very easy way to get fantastic moving trees.

Anyway, more tests I think!

G'Day Al,

Email Robert Lansdale at Okino. He is very helpful and would more than likely know the PolyTrans export procedure.

As for straight out of SpeedTree to EIAS. 9.(1)......?

Someone suggested going through MoBu with .fbx to EIAS was the better way. But that was back in V8 and 9 of EIAS. I'm really not sure nowadays.

Good luck with the tests.