Resetting world coordinates for objects

thingmaker

Hi, does anyone know if there is a way to reset an object's centroid position to where it is in world coordinates? It's easy to park an object and then its centroid is 0,0,0 (World), but if you every need to rotate it a small amount, it rotates around the center of the project which is useless.

An example would be, say I export out frame of an asteroid field simulation with 150 objects created with Bullet. Then I reimport it into a project. Every object's centroid is at the World 0,0,0. To spin anything on its own axis would require going to Joint Editor, finding the centroid and dragging it to the center of the object in each of the XY, XZ,YZ views. Pretty tedious for projects with many objects. Is there an easier way to do this? Or at least a better method of doing things like this? Thanks.  -Derryl

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that is how I was doing exporting it. But that was just an example, the question was more about how to get the objects world coordinates back after parking.  I have found a workaround of creating a sphere and giving it a position constraint and copying the position in the Project window/Frame view. Awkward but works. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, I didn't catch that you had parked the objects. Ok, so yes you are getting your numbers with position constraint.  Another way to do this is to parent all your parked objects that you would like the world positions of - to a null, then un parent them and you will get world positions back for every object.  Is this what you need?

Yes, it can be a pain that one.  I suppose you could maybe use labels or add the objects to a selection set and re-select them that way.....May not always help but depends on what you doing I suppose?  Not sure if you know but you can change the structure of the list too with the drop down using the very top left icon, this can sometimes help finding things....

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I had seen this sooner. Maybe I could have save you some time and trouble because there's a quick option for resetting centeroids even on multible objects in the entire project, all at once.

If you export multiple objects which zero out when you import them, you can reset all their centeriods by selecting them, and in the Link Window Editor select "middle" under link alignment position. That should set the centeriod back to the geometry as oppose to world center.   You can also control/command click and set the option to every item in the scene by selecting all if selecting them in the project window or world view is tedious. .

Hope that helps.
Lots of workflow tips like these and more on my tutorial DVD. ;-)

Edited by AVTPro

Thanks Alonzo, just to clarify, when you say the Link Window I assume you mean the Joint Editor, correct? And Link Alignment Position? 

Wow, ok I just tried it and it works. Oddly 'Link Alignment Position' is usually already on Middle, but if you click on it again, it re-centers the centroid.  How the hell did you figure that out?  

Note: This changes the Position and Parental Offset numbers into something that I am not sure is usable but it definitely solves the problem at hand!, Thanks!  -Derryl

People ask me that a lot so I made DVDs. ha.

Great Derryl. I'm always happy to help. Sometimes small solutions fix big problems.  I have been using EIAS for many years and know a lot of small tips and tricks to solve big problems so I put them all in 2 DVDs. If you are going to use EIAS a lot in the future, they may save you a lot of time.

BTW, as far as the offset I don't know much about Bullet in EIAS or in Maya either. I work with mainly with rigging for EIAS users doing render client work. When I get a chance I will look at Bullet...

Edited by AVTPro