Hay this is very much a WIP trying things more and more in EIAS. still love the speed of the render.

so far i have lots more to model sort out the shading and lighting and worst of all have to re-topo the bedding and give it a proper UV map as the one i made seems to have messed up and now I'm stuck with a hi ploy mesh that is too dense to consider doing a new one on. other than that i think it is going rather well. the walls texture is crazy i know kind of like it but kind of don't. we see how long it stays for haha.

any tips hints or just popping by to say that I'm rubbish and should stick to my day job all comments welcome XD

hope you think this is alright. should have it finished by the end of the weekend.

post-161-0-99883700-1431097241_thumb.jpg

Well that render had 2 lights one sun light bringing light in the window. and one area light at the back wall for with low intensity just to help with the bounce illumination (or that was the plan anyway) both lights are photon maped 400 for the sun light and 200 for the area. and 700 yes 700 for the GI samples. family sure i can get away with a lot lower but it renders super fast anyway. 8x8 AA adaptive sampling. 4x4 GI sampling. 

a lot of the other settings I'm still playing with. settings that i have never touched before like turning on high precision shadows and setting the saying sampling to 4x4 just to see if i can see an difference between that and the 1x1 sampling. 

GI glossy is on but i don't really know how to set that up right so playing with that also. GI glossy on the dresser and nightstand as well as the floor. GI glossy rays set to default (50).

with out playing with the shading sampling leaving it at 1x1 and not having high presupposition shadows turned on render time asunder 5 min

haha ok found out what the shading sampling does. time to turn them back to default. should of read the manual first before i did that haha. turning on the high precision shadows though is how do i put this. SLOW!. still waiting for the render to finish haha. almost 15min now and still going!

Quick question, I'll come back on other things later, time for bed here.

But what render resolution is 5 mins? Seems long. I can't tell from the image.

Speak soon,

Another thing to try is to increase the accuracy of the reverse illumination to 2 or 3 and then can drop down GI primary ray count a lot.

High pres shadows, I've not had much use for since EIAS went to raytrace. (long time ago!).

Try turning off GI sampling in the shadow tab.

Glossy surfaces don't reflect glossy surfaces and it is view dependent. IE: A surface with glossy won't reflect another surface with glossy applied. (correct me if I'm wrong). I always use reflection blur and bump / normal maps for results that are the same. Used to kill render time with reflect blur in V9, V 9.1 I don't see the same. Dunno why?

Reflect blur, bigger angle, 10, 12 , 15, = bigger disperse of reflection when combined with specular falloff and size. Use specular colour to reflect colour not reflection colour.

1024X576 is the render res. hmm ok will try turning off glossy and using reflection blur instead. i thought 5 min was good haha though i have not taken an proper time frame yet as for me that is enough that i don't even get to finish my cup of tea before i am reviewing the image. but ill see if what you said can speed it up even more. 

Good to hear! That's a big drop.

Try reducing raytrace recursion in the render tab, maybe 5. I don't think you will notice anything in the output at that resolution, but it would reduce render time.

Just a thought.

I still have that MacBook myself and still used it up until 8 months ago as my main station connected to 3 monitors with a ViBook adapter.

I went PC after 22 years on Mac. Hmmmm....!

Keep at it, it's looking good.

Few other tips later so keep posting, but now bed is really calling! :-)

Best regards,

Cheers man. I'm doing my best to try and stick with this for a few more days playing with settings and such. I'm going to put a mirror in the room soon so not sure i want to turn recursion down just yet might end up with black area's. but once it is made i will reduce that until they start to show up XD

Well this is as far as i have made it. i don't like the metal glass or the lamp shade, and there seems to be a few errors on the brick wall texture on the back. but time is up and time to move on. to something else. i mostly happy with it but still lots of improvements to be made. so hopefully next one i can improve upon this, oh yeah this was my first attempt at trying to do arch viz. 

any tips on glass surfaces and metal surfaces would be helpful. 

• Like 2