MDD, Marvelous Designer, MotionBulder, Maya

AVTPro

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. I got very busy with some other things. Then I started to focus on nCloth in Maya beside Marvelous Designer.

I wanted to be able to control everything at one time. So if I retime the animation I can resimulate the cloth. Still I am going to take it all back into EIAS to render but was working with MotionBuilder for a while. I studied both Maya and Mobu so I can edit the mocap. I fixed a lot of interpenetration and jitters/pop in animation data.  I'm hoping to set-up my Mocap system now that I can control my mocap better. I'm using MotionBuilder 7.5 on OSX and though it's discontinued and outdated, it's very powerful and funtional. I love it. I did some trigger animation but don't know Python yet. So I did a facial character animation and hair.  I More EIAS post soon. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Exported my Zbrush character from Maya into EIAS. I used nCloth for the simulation, applied mocap in MotionBuilder, and corrected minor interpenetration in Maya. This was an MDD/vertex animation test. I didn't composite the render or fix floor contacts in EIAS. Quick to do but I'm only testing this for another project/character that has to be rendered in EIAS.

• Like 1

Couple of technical notes I want to mention.  As you can see from the first video I posted at the top of this thread, I decided to use nCloth in this last animation instead of Marvelous Designer. There's a few reasons for this. I just happened to be studying dynamics anyhow, and because of the "Time Shifting" I sometimes like to resimulate the cloth to the character new slowed motion. Still I like MarvyD the best but this was only two strips of cloth and not a full garment. So what was most important was the pinning of the cloth to the back of the character during large acrobatic movements. MD can do it too, it's just it was a bit more intuitive in a full 3D environment. Also, I can use other tools to correct the character and the cloth sim.

The cons: I like to keep my model all Quads with Zbrush and Maya. I could import Quad and UVs into EIAS but the MDD plug only seems to output only Triangles . I would like to maintain Quads incase I want to SubDiv my character with Encage for Displacement Map Texturing. That's it.

I didn't figure out how to use one MDD cache for the whole character but I only have two MDD files which were very small. Only 50 mb. One for the character and one for the cloth. I'm using Point Oven for Baking the MDD. Also, I study Alembic which is a very good, fast cache format which include the model and motion all in one for all object.

All n All I remember calling Scot Pasko to give me EI Cloth back in 2000 when I lived in NYC. So I am very happy to see cloth solutions in EIAS.

• 1 month later...

Quick stunt WIP in MotionBuilder. I blended together two completely different rigs and very quick clean up. Mainly an exercise in workflow. Being able to take just about any rig from anywhere and add simulated stunts together. From here I can export it to most renderers as an FBX or MDD.   This is an Endorphin simulation mixed with free mocap.