which set up is faster with EI of the ones below

supernovavfx

setup #1   4 32bit cameras using the full 2gigs of ram each

setup #2  4 64bit cameras using 4 or (5) gigs of ram per camera

setup #3  1 64bit camera using 28 gigs of ram for the camera

projects are animation projects using a lot of raytracing, motion graphics and while some of the maps and HDRI's are larger

the polygon counts are medium compared to some of the more intricate things I've seen others create.   Output is 1920 x 1080

My "guess" is setup #2 but I'm not even close to sure.....  thanks!

Scott

I render a lot of what I would call pretty "clean" scenes, in a way because Camera can do such beautiful renderings with just a few settings. in this case... I have a solid beveled logo made out of glass...  a tiled map for the floor that is roughly 512 x 512   and then the big map is an HDR file I loaded

into the refraction sky maps and reflection sky maps and environmental map tabs.  One light...    the shadows, refraction and reflections are the creative behind this logo animation.  

I run the clients name   STEVEN  through the glass logo that is so closeup you can't read it.  My goal was to have the glass "bend" visually his name in a way that was visually organic and sort of 'mysteriously' readable if anyone understands what I mean by that.  Ive done this once before and it was pretty cool... fading between 3 separate glassy moves that refract hints at the companies name with the final move being a 'full assemble' of the logo as completely readable at the end....  simple concept with very render heavy expectations that camera alone, I have found, really pulls off great.... plus the new refraction maps are awesome for letting a more graphic animator like myself add sort of 'fake' complexity' into the glass that would have taken me forever too set up before.    

Rambling here.   Fingers crossed for some animation features in the next version of EI... but what will be will be....  I have a good workflow now...  new features are just bonuses...  

SPEED RESULTS    I wish I would have an absolute for anyone that cares, but here is what I experienced with over 40 renders.   On a 4 core i7 ( with 8 threads ) and 32 gigs of ram.  The fastest individual frame was a 64 bit camera.... no surprise there.  When rendering 4 64 bit cameras... I got the fastest performance but about one third of the way through I got 64 bit errors knocking out one of the 4 cameras.  Memory fight is my guess...   Tomas's guess of 4 32 bit cameras was VERY close too the fastest...  and it was 100% reliable... no cameras erring out.   'but' I was able too beat that with 6 32 bit cameras.  Not by a lot... but enough to make it worth being my 'go to' set up.   All cameras exist

on an SSD thunderbolt raid.  Not spread among hard drives.  I tried 6 cameras at 64 bit with each camera allotted 4500 gigs of ram per camera... more than double the 32 bit cameras... but that still led to a few memory 64 bit errors... again my 'guess' is that 64 bit just wants a lot more memory to work efficiently.  For now... I think ill keep my still renderer 64 bit and my renderama setup at 6 32 bit cameras.   -  i did 'try' 8 cameras.  One per thread but it seemed 

to increase the render times to about match the 6 camera setup...  going from 4 - 6 cameras did save enough time over a rendering to make it easily the best choice.