Renderama on Windows?

prosckes

I'm trying to install EIAS3D on a Windows computer in order to use it as a Renderama Slave.  But when I launch the Slave, I get the follow error: 

"The program can't start because MSVCR110.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

What do I need to do to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi,

I tried installing those, and I'm still getting the same error.  I'm attempting to install render slaves on Amazon EC2 cloud servers running Windows.  I also see the same error when attempting to launch a render slave on a virtual Windows machines running inside VMware Fusion on a Mac Pro.  Has anyone successfully used a cloud service like Amazon EC2 as a scalable render farm?  Seems like it should work if I can just get past this "MSVCR110.dll is missing" problem.

Thanks,

Paul

Download and install BOTH 32 and 64

Hi Paul,

Yes I use Amazon EC2 regularly with great success.

As Tom said 

You need to install all 4 files inside the https://dl.dropboxus..._Package_91.zip

otherwise it will not run and you will need Windows 7 64 Ultimate at least.

I have also had trouble if quicktime is not installed but I think this is a different error.

Turn off windows firewall as well.

Good luck

OK, so I got Renderama launching fine on and EC2 server.  And I've turned off the windows firewall.  But, when I send a Renderama job, I immediately get a network error.  Is there any other network setup that needs to be done to get this to work, like port forwarding or setting up a VPN?  Or should it just work right away? 

Also, I'm using Windows Server 2012.  Is this OK, or should I be using Windows Server 2008 in 64 bit mode?

Thanks in advance!

-Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes I use Amazon EC2 regularly with great success.

As Tom said 

You need to install all 4 files inside the https://dl.dropboxus..._Package_91.zip

otherwise it will not run and you will need Windows 7 64 Ultimate at least.

I have also had trouble if quicktime is not installed but I think this is a different error.

Turn off windows firewall as well.

Good luck

It should just work right away, none of that needed.

I assume you are using RDC to control the slave. 

Are you seeing "aquired by a master" on the slave on the EC2? Or does it just say "waiting". Are you just getting the network error on your master with no response at the slave? This is important to solve.

I will also assume you are downloading the "script" to launch the RDC client from EC2 (Amazon).

Also.

If the RAMA slave is launced and displaying on the top bar, 217.123.45.16 (for example), that is not the IP for RAMA to connect. You must use the IP from the EDC public list in your instance list for input into the RAMA master. It is also the same IP for and on the RDC top bar of the window.

The IP to connect via RAMA will be completely different than that displayed on the slave itself, maybe something like 154.125.13.54 (for example).

It confused me at first (easily done) since I had always output to my local network slaves and set their IP's myself.

(Sorry if this is obvious, I'm just not a network person)

Make sure you are using Rama master (9.1) on your computer and Slave (9.1) on the EC2. they must be the same. Perhaps even go to the point of re-dowloading to both master and slave a re-installing. And then of course installing the

ALL 4 files inside the https://dl.dropboxus..._Package_91.zip

Having said that I have no idea if Win server 2012 or 2008 will work. Tomas suggested that it must be 64 bit Win 7 Ultimate (I use this). Outside of that I just don't know. Never tried.

My set up Win7 Ultimate on Master 64 bit. Slaves on EC2 64 bit as well.

Sorry but never used Win server.

Let's know how you go.

Best

I'm controlling the EC2 instance via the Microsoft Remote Desktop app running on a Mac (I don't know anything about a "script" to launch the RDC client).  Also, I'm running Renderama 9.1 on the same Mac.  I've used Renderama on a Mac with a Windows slave on a private network and never had a problem, so maybe that's part of the issue.  Also, the only options I have for my EC2 slave machines are:

Windows Server 2012 Base

Windows Server 2008 R2 Base

Windows Server 2008 Base

(and a bunch of SQL variants)

It's good to know about the IP address.  I assumed that the Renderama Slave (Private IP address) was correct, so I changed it to the correct Public IP address, but still no luck.  The status always says "waiting" and does not change.  Eventually, Renderama on the Mac will timeout with a network error.

This is so frustrating, but I really want it to work.  I'll keep trying, but at some point, I'll just give up and buy some nice reliable hardware!

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!

-Paul

Nup, it is not a Mac PC issue. I have just changed to PC recently and I ran EC2 no problem from a Mac for a long time.

It is a network setting on your side if it does not even connect. IE "waiting".

However RDC from your Mac can see the EC2! So then it comes down to RAMA and your network settings to send. Try setting to Auto everything in system settings /  network on your Mac. IP (auto detect, etc.) instead of manual config.

I reckon it is the IP address you are inputting to RAMA master. I used 4 of these today one IP was 54.187.220.247:1616 that I input into RAMA Master.

The "script" is the "download RDC file" you are prompted for when you "connect" to your running instance.

Always close and relaunch RAMA master after changes.

I use this on EC2

Windows Server 2008 R2 Base

I understand frustration. Nice hardware I have found gets outdated really quickly and also heavy to carry!!

EC2 does work, I hope I can help but I have limited knowledge.

Keep in touch

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I finally got Renderama to work on Amazon EC2 servers.  The problem was the default "Security Group" would not allow any incoming network traffic.  Once I setup my own Security Group everything worked just fine.  Now, my problem is with render times not scaling with more processor cores.  I've tested 8, 16 and 32 core servers.  But, I've found that the 16 core machines are only about 25% faster than the 8 core machines.  And the 32 core machines are actually slower than the ones with 8 cores.  I'm definitely not maxed out on memory on any of the servers (they come with 15GB, 30GB, and 60GB respectively), so I don't thing that's an issue.  And I'm optimizing the Camera settings to take advantage of all the cores.  Is this common for render times to not scale linearly with more processors?  If yes, then I'm better off just launching more 8 core machines because they're much cheaper to run by the hour versus the 16 or 32 core machines.  If anyone has any advice about optimizing render slaves under Windows, I love to hear your recommendations.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Tomas,

Sorry, it looks like the scene needed more than 2GB per core (although, I don't know why the 8-core managed to finish it's frame).  Here are the results:

32-bit Optimized

8-core/15GB     5:45

16-core/30GB   out of memory error

32-core/60GB   out of memory error

64-bit Optimized

8-core/15GB     6:02 average

16-core/30GB   4:32 average

32-core/60GB   6:12 average

So, it looks like the 16-core machine is the fastest.  But, the 8-core is still the best value considering the cost:

8-core costs $0.75/hr

16-core costs $1.50/hr

32-core costs $3.00/hr

Hope this helps!

-Paul

Hi Tomas,

All these machines are running 64-bit Windows Server, so using Camera 64 (which I am) shouldn't be a problem, correct?  Also, the project that I'm using for testing is very typical for the type of work I do.  Testing a smaller project doesn't make sense for me, if I'm going to end up running into memory issues when I try to render a real job.  Also, all of this testing is costing me money (over $5 per hour), so I really don't want to do much more unless there's going to be a real benefit to the work I do, or the EIAS community as a whole (I wonder how many are actually attempting to use 32-core machines for rendering?)

I just want to understand why a 32-core machine would equal to, or slower than, an 8 or 16-core machine.  Especially, given that all of these machine have the same amount of ram for each processor.  I don't expect the render times to scale linearly.  But, I would hope that the 32-core machine would be faster than the 16-core, and at least twice as fast as the 8-core.  Also, I haven't looked closely at the actually processors and the speed they are running at in GHz.  It's always possible that Amazon's 8-core machines are newer/faster than the others.

If any other EIAS users have experience with optimizing a Windows render farm, please feel free to add to the discussion.

Thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul!

Camera 64 will run only in a OS 64 bits.

Try a smaller project which can run in 32 bits mode (2GB), than open Camera settings (preferences) in the OS 64 and turn it in 32 bits.

Please, do the renders in 8, 16, 32.

Thanks

Tom

Ola Paul!

I full understand, that's my doubt, why a 32 cores machine is slower than a 16 cores, maybe you are right, the 32 cores machines are old, Its why I asked to you test in 32 bits mode, so, it will Push Camera in the faster speed as possible and we can see if the Amazon Pc machine is old, or we find a related bug with a particular hardware machine from Amazon.

Just did a test, EIAS 9.1 Windows 8 64 bits (New Mac Pro 2013) - 12 cores

32 bits 8 threads - 3min 33secs

32 bits 16 threads - 2min 32secs

32 bits 24 threads - 2min 14secs

64 bits 8 threads - 3min 20secs

64 bits 16 threads - 2min 23secs

64 bits 24 threads - 2min 18secs

Thanks

Tom