a Renderama question

interstellar

I have a question about using Renderama and the Local Camera simultaneously. I have an eight-core Mac Pro with 18 Gigabytes of RAM.  If I assign six Slave Cameras to Renderama to render a scene, leaving the "local camera" idle in the slave column, is it possible or advisable to simultaneously render stuff with the Local Camera?  Could I start and finish several renders on the Local Camera while the six slaves are rendering in the background?

This would leave one core idle for "housekeeping".

I don't want to try this if it will crash any of my slave cameras or if it will corrupt their renders.  The manual seems to indicate that this procedure is possible but I thought I'd ask the best minds in the business!

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Ola Joe!

It's possible, be aware only, since Camera push your hard drive a lot, if you have all 8 slaves including the local camera to do snap shots, Cameras have a chance to faill because only one hard drive can't handle all.

So, the trick to use several slaves at once is have the cameras distributed in a few Hard drives too, internal or external (with fast connections).

Thanks

Tom

not sure if there is a way to fix this - if you are having Camera write any kind of temporary file like a environment map or motion blur, the RA Cameras and the local Camera will get errors. It seems like what happens is the RA Camera will write a temp file the the local camera will write over it then the RA camera will try to read the local temp file and get an error.

brian