Chain Drive Animation

JoeV

Have a client that has a device that is chain driven -- since this aspect of the device is a key feature, I don't think I'll be able to fake animating the chain and cogwheels.

Been a while since I had to tackle something like this so I'm looking for tips on how to best approach.

Physics? Deformers? Plugins? I'm running v9 and have many NL plugins, which hopefully with work with 9.

Image of one of the gizmos is attached.

Thanks!

Joe

post-57-0-49250000-1391618410_thumb.jpg

Hi Joe-  Your chain drive geometry is very similar to my Wall-E Tread animation, using the Bullet Physics Engine.  Each of your chain links would be the equivalent of one of Wall-E’s long treads.  They’re all driven by a single sprocket.  If you check the “Making Of†section, see:

http://www.eias3d.com/forums/topic/5939-wall-e-tread-motion-using-the-bullet-engine/

There’s a download tutorial that should help.  Your geometry is more complicated, and it will take some tweaking of the Bullet parameters.  But it should work.  Good luck!  (Nice model you’re animating :-)

Chip