FormZ modelling and UV mapping

David Sander

Hi folks,

I'm cranking out some models using FormZ at the moment, but am finding EIAS unable to use UV space with some models.

I understand FormZ itself decides what form of mapping it thinks each model warrants, but I don't know if that information comes through via  OBJ or FACT exports. Either way, a simple revolved profile (e.g. the casing of an antique compass) is coming into EIAS, but the Info > Shading > Texture > Use UV Space is greyed out. FormZ's manual is as labyrinthine as it is unhelpful, and I'm not seeing anything in any of the export dialogue out of FormZ to determine texturing specifications, including telling the model it can be UV mapped. Even the texturemapping within FormZ lacks a "UV button" anywhere (not that I am texturing in FormZ, I am only using it for modelling, and having EIAS do the rest).

If I have a texturemap of flecked antique metal, I want that to be undistorted no matter where on the surface of the model it features, which rules out basic cylindrical, spherical or flat mapping. UV mapping would be ideal, but it's not happening with a greyed out UV button in EIAS.

Anyone had this experience before and can steer me to the magic section within FormZ or otherwise that can help?

David

If you are using FormZ V7 it is pretty straight forward.

I just apply a texture in formZ and edit it with the texture edit. This allows you to set UV coordinates in the wrapped textures / mapping types drop down.

I usually then just export as an .obj.

UV option is then available when you import into EIAS.

I never had much success with previous versions of Form Z. I did have some success exporting as a 3DS through polytrans though.

Hope that helps.

Ah I see. It relates back to "teaching" FormZ what type of mapping to apply to particular models before exporting. Understood, and much appreciated.

Yes, I'm using 7.0.2. It has an entirely dysfunctional idea of what a FACT file is, so I'm using OBJ as my export format (keeping in mind to use facetted model type only, as parametric exporting results in no geometry and a crapload of effectors once imported into EIAS).

I've been using it for a little bit now, and while I have issues with some of its interface (and the vulnerability of certain processes to result in corrupted geometry very quickly), it is robust enough to handle most of my needs. The results in EIAS are pretty damn good, too.

Yeah all that has been going on for a while but...

EIAS 9.1 resolved quite a few issues, not entirely sure to what extent yet, with UV export especially with FMZ. Others would know more.

I know some users are getting good results.

I have mixed models a lot, some done in Max, some done in Revit. I always take them through FMZ 7, added to and edited as well, and it does a very good job considering!

But yes always to .obj not .fac. for export to EIAS.

Having said that I think the verify .fac in EIAS 9.1 sorts out a lot as well. If you can get a .fac from FMZ that is!

I'm a bit behind in some ways and sticking to my work flow right now so don't take my word for it just at the moment. :-)

Agreed the interface of V7 is different but I'm getting used to it now. Lots of options to turn stuff off if you don't like it as well. I like the right click links to the reference manual as well, works most of the time!

I'm finding FMZ tech support pretty snappy now as well. Still waiting for answers from V5, but V7 seem to be very keen to help!

All the best and any tips please post them!