Graphics Cards on Mac Pro

Brian

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask you guys what kind of cards you may have popped into your Mac Pros?

Now that the EVGA is out with the 680 I'm wondering if that would be better in the EI environment than the NVIDIA Quadro 4000.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/EGVA/02GP43682/

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/PNY/VCQ4000MACPB/

Any thoughts?

If you're using one of these cards, do you see a performance difference in EI?

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks for the reply.....So, do you see a big difference in EI? I know in a game it would be amazing but does EI handle lots of polys and really big textures because of the better card? Just curious if it's worth the money since it's supposed to be a gaming card.

I guess this question should probably be directed towards the egors.......

Would an ATI (AMD) card perform better with Electric Image hardware acceleration?

Or would an NVIDIA card perform better.

I keep seeing that the AMD card might perform better with open GL (which is what I'm assuming EI is using)

I'm just trying to get EI to redraw a little bit better with the large textures in shaded mode (for mapping purposes) and handle my large scenes better in wireframe or shaded modes (5-8 million polys and up). Right now the ONLY way I can handle my scenes is by putting it on point cloud and closing all the other windows except my view finder and (only if I have to) one other window for a front, side, top view.

Just trying to sort all this out :shy:

Brian... the performance of the card works on a bunch of levels for me... it handles screen performance and open gl great but dont forget CUDA  it has a huge amount of CUDA cores which accelerates a ton of things in After Effects which to a huge amount of us animators is a critical tool....  my plug ins and system performance flies.

Personally, I hope Open CL which apple is pushing, gets support, because unless it sucks eggs ill be getting a new mac pro later this year and its dual ati cards will force a lot of software makers hands in the GPU game IF apple does not offer a choice of nvidia or ati....   Most of us work on a SYSTEM... not just an APP....    my geforce 8800 card was probably pretty easy to kill performance wise... but im still thrilled for all the OTHER things that now fly...  (an ssd as well is helping a ton)