Car - Contour reflection/white card

How would you approach the types of highlights (I believe them to be reflections & not specularity - as though from a bounce card) featured in the attached image. I tried a reflect only object with illumination at 100 & applied a gradient in the transparency channel... tried it on a plane & on a surrounding cylinder. No dice. didn't hug the contours. Anybody have any idea how to pull that off?

post-462-1326939383228_thumb.jpg

Ola Miller,

Car renders are not in my skills :)

But I tried to do a simple test here:

- First, full laminate planes:

post-4-13269393832746_thumb.jpg

- Second, planes with Ramp grades (.img)

post-4-13269393834047_thumb.jpg

Ramp used, it was applied in the Plane Diffuse channel without transparency, Probably using Alpha on the this same map can help to avoid some extra and not desired black reflection:

post-4-13269393833391_thumb.png

The trick I heard once to have beautiful reflections, they need to be designed in the Ramp maps.

Hope this help

Thanks

Tom

How would you approach the types of highlights (I believe them to be reflections & not specularity - as though from a bounce card) featured in the attached image. I tried a reflect only object with illumination at 100 & applied a gradient in the transparency channel... tried it on a plane & on a surrounding cylinder. No dice. didn't hug the contours. Anybody have any idea how to pull that off?

Wow... I think both images are pretty darned slick. Thanks. and thanks for the speedy response. the objects - containing the ramps... were they planes? and if so, was the luminance set to 100% and the objects set to reflect only? I got really cruddy results. Any chance you could upload the project file ? (without the model of course... maybe an ubershape block with same properties as a place holder - I could always swap a model for the block) ...just to better examine your settings. Blaine

Ola Miller,

The simple Project:

Car Reflection Render.zip

Yes, I used Ubershape planes, full luminance 100% (Hard reflections), smooth reflections (all maps, Diffuse tab and Transparency tab enabled, if you disable Transparency map, like I did in the Car render, you will have a extra Black reflection in the windows).

Hope that helps, Its a pleasure.

Thanks

Tom

Wow... I think both images are pretty darned slick. Thanks. and thanks for the speedy response. the objects - containing the ramps... were they planes? and if so, was the luminance set to 100% and the objects set to reflect only? I got really cruddy results. Any chance you could upload the project file ? (without the model of course... maybe an ubershape block with same properties as a place holder - I could always swap a model for the block) ...just to better examine your settings. Blaine