Editing HD Animation without lose of quality

robertb

Sorry this is a little off topic, but you are the most helpful and smartest people I know!

I am trying to find a good pipe line for editing my HD Electric Image animation, without the lost of quality in Final Cut Pro 6. I have graded my animations in After Effect and exported them as Quicktime files using the Animation codex. I now want to edit the files in FC and then export one Quicktime file still using the Animation codex, ie I don’t want to lose any quality in the process.

When I set up FC what are the best settings to use. So far I have but in 1920x1080, sq pixels and using the quicktime compressor: Animation.

Unfortunately my old computer can’t play the edit as the files are so large. Therefore, which is the best compressor to use, and will this affect the end quality of the film or is the compression purely so that you can see playback in FC.

Also I'm still use an old PAL monitor connected via a Firewire cable. Is there still a way of getting a preview on it when editing HD material?

Sorry if these are very basic question but this is the first time I have edited in HD. I would love to get your options before I get started.

Many thanks

Robert

Ola Rob!

First of all, use PNG codec instead of Animation codec, its lossless but it have only 1/3 of Animation codec size.

Hmmm... You could export from After Effects 2 output modules, on High-rez and one Low-rez with a H264 codec fora example, edit with H264 to have a fast feedback and then replace with PNG codec to output in High-rez.

Thanks

Tom

Ola Thomas

Thanks as always for your help. Wow I didn't know about png, that's a big saving of hard drive space, especially as I am working on a 18 minute animation!

I did more tests last night and it seems that I can bring the png files into FC and then set the compression to something like h264. This alows the footage to be played in the app. Then when you export the final file, put the setting back to png and the quality returns. It seems to use the original files to generate the edit and not the compressed ones.

This seems quite straight forward and makes sense. Being new to FC I think I was a bit bewildered with so many settings and was worried that, I needed to do something special to get the right quality.

Once again thanks for the help.

Robert