Adobe Illustrator import and extrude

Don_Macaroni

I'm at the verge of buying Strata 3D, so somebody PLEASE give me some pointers...

This gotta be easier than I think, but apparently to me it's worth spending OVER 8 HOURS on it. Lost my entire day, I should have posted this question waaaay earlier. Anyway, how in the hell do I import a flat 2D Adobe Illustrator shape and extrude it!!! Right now I was able to export to DXF, 'transport' it to .fact and import. This gives me the shape, but flat 2D. I cannot extrude it. Via ubershape and a transparent layer I can achive it too, but the shape is hollow, not solid. And this method is plain slow...

Please please please some help here...

Oh, and what happened to EI Modeler? Can this still be downloaded?

Hi Don,

We create a lot of logos and signatures for television shows and network brands, most animated in EI. All design is done with illustrator and extruded with "3D Invigorator", an After Effect plug-in. It does a great job, maintains the grouping based on the layers in the illustrator artwork and exports to many different formats, including .fact.

Zakwerks sells the same plug-in as a stand alone application "Pro Modeler".

http://zaxwerks.com/promodeler/index.shtml

Have a look at it, it's a great tool.

Christian

Hi Don,

We create a lot of logos and signatures for television shows and network brands, most animated in EI. All design is done with illustrator and extruded with "3D Invigorator", an After Effect plug-in. It does a great job, maintains the grouping based on the layers in the illustrator artwork and exports to many different formats, including .fact.

Zakwerks sells the same plug-in as a stand alone application "Pro Modeler".

http://zaxwerks.com/promodeler/index.shtml

Have a look at it, it's a great tool.

Christian

We use ProModeler for this also.

A very important feature in Zaxwerks' apps and plugins is the ability to set some level of figure contraction in the imported vector profiles to compensate for the expansion that the beveling features introduce. I don't know of any other tool able to do that.

• 9 months later...

I know I'm a bit late in the game on this, but I randomly saw this thread and it reminded me of a neat trick I used once to get out of a bind.

I was working on a project late one night -- no access to Zaxwerks' or any modeling application (working at a remote location with just my laptop). I had several Illustrator outlines that I HAD to get extruded and placed inside EIAS. It didn't need to be anything fancy -- just a straight extrusion.

I thought about ways of 'cheating' using AfterEffects, but my deadline was only a few hours away so I didn't have time to test. Then a thought hit me -- I own FontLab (a software package for creating your own custom fonts, or modifying existing fonts). I'm guessing there are 'free' font creation tools out there, but I already had FontLab so I simply created a new "font" and imported all the vector objects into FontLab -- assigning each vector set as a "letter" or "character" of the font. I then exported the font and launched EIAS.

Since EIAS had a "create 3D text" capability I was able to easily pull my vector artwork into EIAS complete with extrusions by simply typing out the characters I created in FontLab and selecting my custom font from the drop-down font list. I set the extrusion and other properties that I wanted and -- it worked beautifully. Saved the day.

This workaround is no match for the power and elegance of Zaxwerks' products -- but I thought it was a fun story to share.