EI on OS 10.67? I looked around here...

Guest supernova

Guest supernova

and I could not find a reference to whether EI V8 will work on my quad core i7 imac... using os 10.67

I know its not 64 bit until v9... but will it still work at the old speeds and specks? Otherwise I need to keep my older tower for just 3d until v9 comes out later this year hopefully :)

thanks...

Scott

Guest supernova

thanks... is that using os 10.6+? thats a 64 bit os... so I was not sure EI would work... I have the i7 quad core with 16 gigs of ram...

also.... do you notice the 'hyperthreading' or tried to use more cameras than 4 based on the 4 'virtual' cores that the i7 allows for. 4 solid cores and 4 virtual ones...

sorry for all the questions... im doing a pretty huge and expensive migration to after effects 64bit and all that comes with it.. but I was worried that I could not run EI in its 32 bit state on that 10.6 os....

Hi Scott,

I have a MacBook Pro i7 with 10.6.7. EIAS runs great.

Frankg

thanks... is that using os 10.6+? thats a 64 bit os... so I was not sure EI would work... I have the i7 quad core with 16 gigs of ram...

also.... do you notice the 'hyperthreading' or tried to use more cameras than 4 based on the 4 'virtual' cores that the i7 allows for. 4 solid cores and 4 virtual ones...

sorry for all the questions... im doing a pretty huge and expensive migration to after effects 64bit and all that comes with it.. but I was worried that I could not run EI in its 32 bit state on that 10.6 os....

Guest supernova

thank you frank... I wonder why I just assumed it would not work... I think its cuz

of the 64 bit os thing...

good to know... its still my "2nd machine option" but nice to have....

thanks!

Scott

OS X 10.6.x can run 32 and 64 bit apps at once no matter if one has started it up in 32 or 64 bit kernel mode. The only potential problem would be getting 64 bit drivers for the USB key, I think.

Starting up in 64bit kernel mode is required when using more than 16 GB of RAM, I seem to remember.

I use one or more cameras than cores my Mac has even if it has no multithreaded processors (too old). I've found it gets me a bit of an extra gain. An hyperthreaded system ought to give a decently noticeable extra benefit (20-30%, I've read somewhere).

Guest supernova

OS X 10.6.x can run 32 and 64 bit apps at once no matter if one has started it up in 32 or 64 bit kernel mode. The only potential problem would be getting 64 bit drivers for the USB key, I think.

Starting up in 64bit kernel mode is required when using more than 16 GB of RAM, I seem to remember.

I use one or more cameras than cores my Mac has even if it has no multithreaded processors (too old). I've found it gets me a bit of an extra gain. An hyperthreaded system ought to give a decently noticeable extra benefit (20-30%, I've read somewhere).

Great advice.... I am going to have 2 os 10.6.7 EI setups... the Imac with 16 gigs of ram and a 2.8ghz Quad Core i7 proc... I will be simply copying my EI stuff to that machine and crossing my fingers.... lol...

Then my tower... which I am upgrading to that OS from 10.5.8.. its the dual "quad core" (8 core) 3.2ghz Zeon with 16 gigs of ram...

After Effects Needs the most resources I have so when im using it or rendering... I can go to the Imac and tweak ongoing 3d projects or elements....

I am going to re post a dongle question just so it shows up as a new thread... but thanks... im taking a gulp here... and im moving forward with all these upgrades... lol...