SSD Drive EI8 no longer sees dongle

JoeV

Got a new Mac Pro, 6-Core Xeon, 12 GB RAM. I installed EI8 without any issues at all. Then I added a SSD, cloned the startup drive to the SSD and now I use the SSD for my startup and application drive. EI8 will not launch, I get: Hardware key error: Key not plugged in #3. But the key is plugged in. I ran the EI8 installer again along with the dongle installation as well.

Might I need to remove the original startup disk drive? Is EI confused by the two systems?

Ola JoeV,

Restart your machine pressing 3 and 2 in your keyboard as Juanxer asked..

Questions:

- Are you still using your both Drives the old one and the SSD cloned in your machine?

- Remove your new SSD HD and try to see if your original HD runs.

Diego had some issues with his newest machine too!

http://www.eias3d.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=462

Thanks

Tom

I'll try starting up in 32 bit mode and see if that's the issue, but it will have to wait until I'm at that computer later today. Thanks for the suggestions!

The original startup disk is online. I could pull that one out --.

The SSD is installed in the bay under the optical drive.

I'll also try starting up from the original HD and see if EI launches (I'll also check to see if that drive is at 32 or 64)

BTW, another software package that uses EVE as their dongle needed a swap to a 64 bit version. Is this a related issue?

Info from the web:

Rainbow Eve3 Dongles: Exchange Needed for 64-bit Cocoa LightWave

LightWave 3D v9.6.1 brings both 32-bit and 64-bit Mac support to LightWave users for the first time. One of the issues that users will need to be aware of is that only the Sentinel framework is provided for 64-bit operation, because SafeNet does not have plans to port the Eve3 Framework, which is required for the Mac-only Eve3 USB Dongles. If you have an Eve3 USB dongle and you plan to use the 64-bit version of v9.6.1, you will need to exchange it for the current Sentinel Ultrapro Dongle. This same issue will also affect LightWave CORE if you are planning to upgrade - CORE will use only the Sentinel driver for both the 32-bit and 64-bit Mac versions.

You can determine if you have an Eve3 dongle by checking the engraved logo on the top, where it will say Rainbow/Eve3.

Booting in 64bit kernel mode would be required for Macs loaded with more than 32 GB of RAM at once (see PAE). Below that, it isn't that needed.

It would surprise me that your Mac is starting up in 64bit mode motu proprio, but then I've heard of people discovering their new Mac Pros doing so (the new hexacore I use at work didn't, anyway). There is this little utility for checking and setting that up: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32252/32--or-64-bit-kernel-startup-mode-selector

(Our hexacore setup is even a bit more complicated :P: two SSDs as a RAID 0, one in the lower optical bay and another in one of the hard disk trays via an adapter box. I've backed it up and restored with CCCloner a couple of times (OS X 10.6.5 crippled Photoshop's landscape mode printing, so…), and EIAS never complained of anything :-/)

Starting up in 32 bit mode solved the issue. I could have sworn that it was working under 64 bit.

Anyway, I'm glad it's back, I always appreciate EI when I have to use another 3D program, EI may have it's faults but it's ease-of-use and quality renders and the speed keeps me a loyal user.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Argh, the problem has returned. Now even in 32 bit and re-install, nothing but Key not found error again. I'm booting off the original HD since the SSD has an issue with when the mac goes to sleep it wakes non-responsive. No fix for that until a supposed firmware update at the end of the month. I'm sending that SSD back.

Edit: Sent the SSD drive back and restarted in 32 bit mode from the standard HD. All is well. BTW, the SSD was from Other World Computing and to fix the sleep issue you need to run a firmware update from a PC. No Mac compatible updater is available.