Filetype filtering defaults in file dialogs

Juanxer

This is about a little nuisance that hopefully implies a small modification in Animator.

When one opens file dialogs for importing models or texture maps, their filetype filtering defaults to EIAS' typical ones: FACTs and IMGs, out of tidiness, probably.

The thing is, these are becoming rather less than primary filetypes when one is importing elements into a new project. Today we are dealing with .3DSs, .OBJs, .TGAs, TIFs, .JPGs, .MOVs, etc. far more than with .FACTs and .IMGs. Yes, the objects end up becoming FACTs, but by then we usually are finished with the importing.

Things would be a bit faster if these dialogs would default to filtering, say, all 3D model and image formats EIAS admits, or to "everything" if that's not possible. Oftentimes one has to import a model made out of lots of separate parts files, and having to pull down the filtering menu everytime feels a bit like the Spanish Inquisition.

There is an issue which could be solved in a similar way, even if it would be quite inelegant.

When one is browsing Materials, the file dialog window lets us select .MTR files only. If it would let us click on other types of files, such as .JPGs, we could use all those Material preview JPGs some kind souls have provided us with in recent years, putting them into the same folders the Materials reside in, with the same Material names so that they get paired when sorting them by name. When selecting .JPGs, both Win7 and OS X' File Dialogs can show us a preview.

An advantage is that one could have several previews for the same Material: say one has Bumpy-Gold.mtr, plus Bumpy-Gold_BALL.jpg, Bumpy-Gold_CUBE.jpg, Bumpy-Gold_SCULPT.jpg, etc.

I'll admit that it is a rather messy way to solve it. As an alternative, in OS X I could copy those .JPGs and paste them as icons for the .MTR files, but that's going to turn my hair gray (perhaps some Applescript could help there).

Well, just me thinking aloud :)