ALEMBIC

Mark Johnston

It seems Alembic stores baked animated scene data instead of high level-editable data as FBX and COLLADA would do. Looks like being a way to drop others' animated elements into one's scenes without a fuss, or a way to accept their completed scenes and send them to one's renderer without needing any conversion process. I wonder how editable that imported data is, once in one's app.

"Alembic is an open computer graphics interchange framework. Alembic distills complex, animated scenes into a non-procedural, application-independent set of baked geometric results. This ‘distillation’ of scenes into baked geometry is exactly analogous to the distillation of lighting and rendering scenes into rendered image data.

Alembic is focused on efficiently storing the computed results of complex procedural geometric constructions. It is very specifically NOT concerned with storing the complex dependency graph of procedural tools used to create the computed results. For example, Alembic will efficiently store the animated vertex positions and animated transforms that result from an arbitrarily complex animation and simulation process which could involve enveloping, corrective shapes, volume-preserving simulations, cloth and flesh simulations, and so on. Alembic will not attempt to store a representation of the network of computations (rigs, basically) which are required to produce the final, animated vertex positions and animated transforms."

They probably are abstracting shaders, too, although I can find no reference to that.

I have found the project site, here: http://www.alembic.io/

• 1 year later...