Is After Effects over the top for still image arch viz ?

Paul P

Hello all,

apologies if this question is not strictly EI related.

I own a copy of the Lance Evans book "Professional 3D with Electric Image Universe " - in this book he mentions multi pass rendering, and how one can use this method to save time when re rendering images, and I guess also to place an EI generated building onto a photo of the actual site. I have been quite intrigued by these ideas for a while (multi pass rendering and compositing). I know nothing about after effects, so I'm curious to know the following :

1. for still image arch viz, is AE really helpful, given today's faster computers ?

2. Are there other competing packages out there that could do the same job ? AE seems quite expensive, and looks quite hard to learn.

Many thanks in advance.

After Effects is what Photoshop would look like if turned into an animation app, mostly, so I don't think it is worth the cost if one has Photoshop already, as there is an enormous feature overlap (unless one sees a real killer plugin filter that only exists for AE).

(AE's basics are quite easy, really. It's just that its user interface is very compacted to make room for the movie frame, and so it looks a bit scary)

After Effects is what Photoshop would look like if turned into an animation app, mostly, so I don't think it is worth the cost if one has Photoshop already, as there is an enormous feature overlap (unless one sees a real killer plugin filter that only exists for AE).

(AE's basics are quite easy, really. It's just that its user interface is very compacted to make room for the movie frame, and so it looks a bit scary)

Juanxer,

many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. This is good to know. At least one less app to pay for and learn.

But now I must learn how to do multi pass renders and composite EI buildings onto real sites, all in Photoshop. Are you aware of any books or online tutorials where I could learn this ? I have Photoshop CS, CS3 and CS4.

Many thanks once again. I appreciate your time.