Memory

bwcc

Just curious how EIAS 9 will be different with memory. I use EIAS 8 and often run into memory problems especially with plug-ins. Using Placer Deposit, Blobmaker and Mrs. Bebel I will get memory errors by trying to create a model that is too dense. I can usually render with higher settings than what can be created in EIAS. But even with Camera I will get memory errors.

I think in EIAS 8 it is limited to 2GB of Memory, does the plug-in use it's own memory or does it take a piece of the 2GB?

Is there anyway to get EIAS / plug-in to use more memory, even if it's slower?

In EIAS 9, since Camera is 64bit, will that allow it to use more memory to create bigger models with plug-ins? or is that a function of the way the plug-in uses memory.

Will EIAS 9 also be 64bit so it can use more than 2GB of memory to create / import more and bigger models?

thanks

brian

So, will EIAS 9 be 64bit or just Camera? Will EIAS 9 be able to use more memory?

If the Plug-ins are ported to 64bit would it only be an advantage in Camera or also in EAIS 9?

thanks,

brian

as for Placer Deposit, you'll have to ask NL :)

Ian

I'll assume that means no...

bw

Hello, Brian, All

Animator 9 still will be 32-bit app, with 2Gb RAM barrier. However it's important to understand that 64-bit is not a "magic wind" to solve all RAM problems:

- we've no doubts Brian always can create so dense mesh that's impossible to place into his 18 Gb (right?) room. Appetite has no limits.

- before to create such meshes it's a good idea to think what to do then in Animator, how long they can be previewed etc.

- can't say about Placer but BlobMaker and Mrs do use obsolete memory allocation approach and thus can't be ported to 64 immediately. Changing the approach would allow to use twice more RAM even in 32-bit.

- and the last one:

.. or just Camera?

Hmm... it looks like Camera is just a small (unsignificant) detail, huh? :rolleyes:

The reason I ask...

I often have a situation where, as an example, I create a model with BlobMaker. I can set the EIAS resolution to 5 and the Camera resolution to 30. I get a quick easy to deal with model in EI and nice smooth high res model in Camera. But, once rendering the animation I notice that Camera takes significant amount of time creating the mesh for each frame. If the Blobmaker settings are not animated it shouldn't need to do this. It should be able to create the model once and use the same model file for each frame.

So, As a work around I figure I can create the model in EI, export as a FACT and import so Camera will not recreate for each frame. I try to create the model in EI by setting the EI res to 30 and I get the memory error. It's not a problem specific to BlobMaker, The error occurs with any plug-in that generates geometry.

The odd part is that even when I set the EI resolution to 30, I'm creating a model that is only 400,00 - 500,000 polygons. I know if I could create the model in EI, I could export/import and it would render quickly. I know EI can import models that are several million polygons. I am not trying to make a model that EIAS can't load. So the problem is maybe the plug-in memory or the the way the plug-in and EI share the memory.

thanks

brian

Hi, Brian

I often have a situation where, as an example, I create a model with BlobMaker. I can set the EIAS resolution to 5 and the Camera resolution to 30. I get a quick easy to deal with model in EI and nice smooth high res model in Camera. But, once rendering the animation I notice that Camera takes significant amount of time creating the mesh for each frame. If the Blobmaker settings are not animated it shouldn't need to do this. It should be able to create the model once and use the same model file for each frame.

You're right and it's a common prob for plugins that create a large geometry. We'll think how to solve this. but nothing is promised (be honest no one idea is in our heads yet)

Thanks