EIAS v10 current development!

Ola my friends!
When we released EIAS 9.0 / 9.1, we ran to show we were able to add a good amount of new features and good optimizations.
EIAS 10 is another story, as everybody here knows, the EIAS source code was really old and lacking several features which we always wished and wanted to be built in.
Why this delay in the release? 
Lets imagine one of the many examples in our current process:
Apple killed QuickTime development on Windows platform, so, we need to find another library for replacement on both platforms Mac / Pc, remove QuickTime entirely from Animator, Camera, Renderama.. implement the new library with the new OSX / Win codecs limitations and so on, so, v10 was huge cascade of changes, we do one change, it solve a feature, but breaks several connected features, EIAS v10 is our first, biggest effort to let Electricimage fresh and powerful on the modern operational systems.
Took a lot more time than we wanted, but we love EIAS development and we are really proud of it.
Thanks for the patience!
EIAS3D team

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tomas, I noticed this over at Apple after the new Mac Pro announcement, and I'm wondering if you guys have a similar reaction (ie: planning to support Metal at some point, with OpenGL and such eventually going away).

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/pro-app-developers-react-to-the-new-mac-pro-and-pro-display-xdr/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 11:14 AM, Tomas Egger said:

Ola my friend!

Yes, we are already aware! Thank you very much for your link!

Are you fine?

Tom

Hi Tomas,

Yes, I'm doing OK and hoping I'll be in a position to use EIAS again some day. I'm just lurking for now. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ola Paul!

Here, I don't know if you saw this, Before & After Reel from one of our projects using v10 :)

Btw: This week, our Studio's work appeared on the Emmys tech award, BorisFX won a award with Mocha Pro and our shot using Mocha and Mocha Pro was presented to Emmy audience.

Hope you like it

"Cliffs of freedom" feature film, Before & After Reel.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 12:23 PM, Tomas Egger said:

Ola Paul!

Here, I don't know if you saw this, Before & After Reel from one of our projects using v10 :)

Btw: This week, our Studio's work appeared on the Emmys tech award, BorisFX won a award with Mocha Pro and our shot using Mocha and Mocha Pro was presented to Emmy audience.

Hope you like it

"Cliffs of freedom" feature film, Before & After Reel.

That has historically been one of EAIS' best features—3D matte "paintings." Just look back to the film "Gladiator" where EI was used to recreate the Coliseum or the particle effects for the nuclear bomb effect in "Terminator 2." Both were early, groundbreaking uses of CG in film. The there was also the "Rebel Unit" at ILM, led by John Knoll, that used EIAS as their main 3D package for the "Star Wars Episodes IV-VI - Special Editions" and for the USS Enterprise model for a couple of the Star Trek movies.

I am REALLY looking forward to EIAS 10. I am really hoping the you guys have succeeded in bringing it into the 21st. Century — both features-wise and UI-wise. I have been using Modo, C4D, Maya, Houdini, and 3DS Max over the years and the only two that I have actually grown to enjoy using have been C4D and, especially, Modo. But, I cut my 3D teeth on EI and I miss it. There were many reasons, both technically and feature needs, that I had to switch from EI over the years but, I really would love to come back to it.

Here is a "must have" list to get me to come back:
Camera:
1) Fully multi-threaded. I have 32 Ryzen Threadburner cores in my computer, need I say more?
2) A fully modern render engine that includes GI, ray tracing, radiosity, ambient occlusion, full set of render passes, output to 1.0 gamma workflow, and can save to all of the common output types — especially 32bit OpenEXR — oh, and fast rendering or/co-rendering would be a very welcome bonus (I have a Titan RTX in my box).
3) Modeller needs to be able to, at a minimum, let me build both polygonal and Sub-D models and be able to import and export to the common file types in use today.
4) We need a robust and modern shader that can handle all of the kinds of shading in common use today — everything from good, noiseless subsurface scattering to clean reflections, blurry reflections and refractions.
5) Finally, is there anyway to dump that old, 1980s-looking UI and use today's Mac and Windows native UI elements?

I know you guys have struggled quite a bit since you rescued EI from going under. And I know your development team is quite small so, I quite understand the long delays and slow addition of new features. But, I do have hope. I learned 3D on EI and have always loved using it.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2020 at 7:50 AM, Jeff Knapp said:

That has historically been one of EAIS' best features—3D matte "paintings." Just look back to the film "Gladiator" where EI was used to recreate the Coliseum or the particle effects for the nuclear bomb effect in "Terminator 2." Both were early, groundbreaking uses of CG in film. The there was also the "Rebel Unit" at ILM, led by John Knoll, that used EIAS as their main 3D package for the "Star Wars Episodes IV-VI - Special Editions" and for the USS Enterprise model for a couple of the Star Trek movies.

I am REALLY looking forward to EIAS 10. I am really hoping the you guys have succeeded in bringing it into the 21st. Century — both features-wise and UI-wise. I have been using Modo, C4D, Maya, Houdini, and 3DS Max over the years and the only two that I have actually grown to enjoy using have been C4D and, especially, Modo. But, I cut my 3D teeth on EI and I miss it. There were many reasons, both technically and feature needs, that I had to switch from EI over the years but, I really would love to come back to it.

Here is a "must have" list to get me to come back:
Camera:
1) Fully multi-threaded. I have 32 Ryzen Threadburner cores in my computer, need I say more?
2) A fully modern render engine that includes GI, ray tracing, radiosity, ambient occlusion, full set of render passes, output to 1.0 gamma workflow, and can save to all of the common output types — especially 32bit OpenEXR — oh, and fast rendering or/co-rendering would be a very welcome bonus (I have a Titan RTX in my box).
3) Modeller needs to be able to, at a minimum, let me build both polygonal and Sub-D models and be able to import and export to the common file types in use today.
4) We need a robust and modern shader that can handle all of the kinds of shading in common use today — everything from good, noiseless subsurface scattering to clean reflections, blurry reflections and refractions.
5) Finally, is there anyway to dump that old, 1980s-looking UI and use today's Mac and Windows native UI elements?

I know you guys have struggled quite a bit since you rescued EI from going under. And I know your development team is quite small so, I quite understand the long delays and slow addition of new features. But, I do have hope. I learned 3D on EI and have always loved using it.

Hey Jeff!
Interesting post! btw: As you know, I am an EIAS user too! so, since we do lots of TV ads and VFX. our goal is bring EIAS asap "into the 21st. Century" as you wrote hehe..
I hope we will please, lots of request from our user base! Including you of course :)

Yes, we are a small team with a lot of passion to EIAS, trying to be clear about what took so long on this upgrade, some important changes we did, generated a "cascade" effect, pushing us to re-write from scratch more and more the old code.
And recent external changes from Apple added more delay on our side, Apple killed 32 bits apps, Apple killed Quicktime on Windows and a lot more.. so, we had a balance between big code changes, new features to make us and the user base happy, lots of optimizations to show we are faster and easier than the other apps for sure :)

Our goal after v10: make smaller upgrades to be always in contact with our user base, hearing all demands and make always EIAS fresh!
Thanks a lot
Tom

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 9:50 PM, Jeff Knapp said:

I'm not sure when you last used EIAS, but for various reasons it no longer has a modeller, and hasn't for some years. Every once in a while there will be a bit of discussion about reviving it, but nothing as yet. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tomas Egger said:

Ola Paul!

Its his wish, sure, Im personal wish is a poly modeler built-in too :)

Thanks
Tom

Ola Tomas !

Are you including a modeler with v10 ? That would be huge ! 

At any rate, your work on EIAS over the last decade has been fantastic. It must be devilishly difficult doing a 3D program in the current climate. 

All the best with v10. Let's hope you really smash it out of the park. 

• Like 1

Hi Tomas   Hope to see  10  soon  and maybe Apple can give us a updated Mac Pro that dumps intel  for amd  should be able to have more power for less money. I ve been wanting  and. Waiting for a real boost  in rendering  performance to get back into 3D . Looks like we're finally going to get that pretty soon. Well good luck  getting things done . Apple really has throw one change after another at developers. A lot of determination  being displayed by you guys. Really want to get back to 3D  

Mark 

• Like 1