The best forgotten tutorials for EIAS

MarquisDeSang

https://www.vtc.com/products/Electric-Image-Animation-System-7-Tutorials.htm

This is money well spent and even if not fully up to date, it is still 90% relevant of current EIAS.

Why is this tutorial series not in the tutorial page on the EIAS3D website?

To learn EIAS, there is no better way in my opinion.

There is also the old book : Professional 3d with Electric Image Universe by Lance Evans.

Honestly EIAS is currently lacking good video tutorials that cover every function in detail in 4k or at least HD video.

I will probably make some tutorial along the way when version 10 is released.

These videos should be made free by now.

Pay Scott Simmons and put those fantastic tutorials on your website where they belong.

Tomas, please, never do such a big upgrade at once, do it incrementally next time. Seriously working with EIAS9 on a 55" 4k monitor with windows 10 scaling is torture (because otherwise everything UI is minuscule). You could charge money for smaller upgraded version like the other software do. Waiting this long is "slow water drop torture".

I know the feel, I have been working 3 years on an very ambitious app for iOS. I had to redo many things many times, because Apple is changing the language and sdk constantly. Apple is also changing the rules for the store at random without any infos on how to proceed. I finished the app 3 months ago, but we can't release because some pdf library won't sign on the store. Now I am doing my own gzip library, because it was my 3rd time changing library and they simply stopped compiling or complying with the store. But the thing to remember is to release more often with smaller feature list cause our customers are really tired of waiting for the new app, when the old app is full of bugs and lacking essential features (I was talking about our old app, not EIAS).

In my humble opinion proper HIGH DPI support (for monitor and tv above 4k) is the most important feature. This is killing Lightwave, Strata, FormZ, Cinema4d and many others. I mean you can't use them unless you lower your resolution to 1080p and it becomes blurry on a 4k monitor. Lightwave is really useless on a 4k monitor or even 3k 27" Apple monitor. Their users are complaining and they don't care or don't have the resources to resolve it.

I know what you have done with version 10 (I have not seen everything yet) and I know all the effort you have put into it. It is worth the wait and I believe that EIAS will take back it's crown as the fastest 3D animation and rendering software on the market soon. Please, also sell/rent/subscription EIAS 10 by small monthly payments to attract new users that don't have the money to buy the full app at once.

Ola my friend!

Thanks for the ideas and for sharing the common problems with Apple, just a few examples, just imagine in a complex software like EIAS.

- Next OSX will not allow 32bits apps anymore.

- Apple killed Quicktime for windows and killed all 3rd party codecs on Quicktime X.

- OpenGL will be not supported anymore too.

Thanks

Tom

On 12/5/2018 at 12:01 PM, ShaddamIV said:

I know what you have done with version 10 (I have not seen everything yet) and I know all the effort you have put into it. It is worth the wait and I believe that EIAS will take back it's crown as the fastest 3D animation and rendering software on the market soon. Please, also sell/rent/subscription EIAS 10 by small monthly payments to attract new users that don't have the money to buy the full app at once.

And get rid of the dongle. 

• Like 2

Last year I started EIAS and it was not starting, i look at the back of my computer and the dongle was not there. I started to panic and looked around and it was simply gone. After a couple of hours of looking for the damn dongle, I looked into the vacuum cleaner. Lucky for me it was there. Not only this thing is expensive, it cost 75$ to ship it to Canada.

It also prevent people from ever subscribing to EIAS if they ever implement a subscribe option (with the option to buy a full license also of course)

Ola my friends!

The Hardware dongle company now provide a new system, a mixed option of Hardware or Software protection, if you use the software, you will be allowed to install only in one machine, same price is charged for the software license, but you dont need to ship the hardware dongle, one less cost, the CONs side, you can't jump from one machine to another. :(

We are studying the possibilities.

Thanks
Tom

I like the way Lightwave currently handles software licensing. It's a bit old school, which is more trusting and forgiving. I also think the EIAS licence should allow installation on 2 computers from 1 owner, a desktop and a laptop. Installation only on 1 computer seems a little mean IMO. Of course, with the dongle there was no choice, but if there is a chance that the dongle may be removed, it is a good time to look at other licensing options. 

14 hours ago, Tomas Egger said:

Ola Paul!

The system we use is one of the best, we didnt check yet the software license works, since we have tons of most important tasks to do :) btw: LW license is one of the easiest to find hacked on the internet.

Thanks
Tom

Ola Tomas. Maybe you can find some middle ground between the current and LW. Maybe like formz  ?

Anyway, this is low priority for you now, so all good. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 2:38 AM, ShaddamIV said:

It also prevent people from ever subscribing to EIAS if they ever implement a subscribe option (with the option to buy a full license also of course)

Please keep the dongle (allows me to switch between as many machines as needed), and please don't start that evil subscription thing. At least not as the only option. Just think about it: if you had bought EIAS 9 via subscription, how much would you have paid for the same piece of software until today? I'm still working with several Adobe Creative Suites CS4/5/6 which have been fully paid for years, and which perfectly do everything I need. Why pay again and again for something that still does the same things (for me) as years ago? And even worse: for something that stops working if I stop paying, not even allowing me to work on old projects? No. Please don't.

Bernd

5 minutes ago, ShaddamIV said:

it would allowed to improve the software at a much faster rate

Well, that's how it is advertised. However, it's primarily a good thing for the shareholders of the company in question. I haven't seen many new features in Adobe software that really make a difference or would have been a reason to *buy* an upgrade. Something is developed, some new features appear and get some hype, but still working functions get broken during updates, while other - long requested - features are not implemented. I don't mind an *option* to subscribe. But I really hate it if it's the only option.

Ola Bernd,

Smaller upgrades are cheaper, dont worry.

the only difference between subscription and non-subscription, its that you are forced to pay always, we dont want that.

we only want the user base happy.

The goal in the future will be faster, smaller and affordable upgrades, so, everybody will be seeing what we are doing.
EIAS v10 was a really necessary upgrade, since tons of things needed to be prepared for the future.

thanks

tom

• 2 weeks later...

I was initially opposed to subscription software, but I think people aren't so opposed to it anymore. But, it is nice to have options. So long as the subscription isn't priced way more (and the only option), as long as development continues, I'm happy. (ie: some products went subscription, but cost far more and didn't seem to speed up updates.... while for others, the end-price is similar and developers speak of better cashflow, etc.)

The nice thing about it being an option, is that a person who does 3D all day long is in quite a different place than someone who does a project now and then. The daily person would buy it outright or pay the subscription as it is easily worth it. But, the person doing an occasional project does better paying for a month here or there... but might not buy at all if the price for the whole thing is too high. It also lowers the entry level, as you don't have to buy one huge purchase to get started.

re: dongle - I don't really like them. I lost mine, for example, in a move. :( Now I have to factor that, too, into an update/repurchase. We'd also probably end up with a USB-A device that needs to hang off an adapter, which is kind of a pain for laptops, etc. Some kind of floating license would be great (ie: software can be installed on any number of machine, but the license only enables x number of them to be used... so long as it has the capability to work off-line for some reasonable time-frame so an internet outage doesn't keep one from working.