Color transformation based on objects elevation

Terrainman

Hi all,

I am trying to transfer the diffuse color of an object as it raises in elevation. I am in the midst of an animation that depicts flooding of subterranean floors of a building. The client wants me to change the color of the water as it rises. 0-1ft=Blue, 1-2 feet = green, 2-3ft = orange etc. the elevational change would have to be based on object coordinates due to the multiple floor levels. Any Ideas?

Terrainman

Just a quick idea : apply a cubic wrap map of a rainbow gradient perpendicular to elevation to the water plan object and make it relative to the world. As the water plan rose, it will go through the different colors of the spectrum.

• 2 weeks later...

to me this is a classic post production effect.   Do the entire animation... get all the timings down and approved and then animate the color changes you want timed precisely too change when and where you want them.  Than take that animated color and map it onto your shape or apply it any number of ways.   There are a lot of creative ways you could isolate the shape in After effects and overlay it allowing you to create more control with masks and color correction.  Easier to do than for me to explain i think... lol..