Recent work

Buggsy

Thanks Diego & Tim.

I would really like to sink my teeth into animation Diego but I struggle to get reasonable rendering times and at the same time to maintain high quality lighting and texturing. Animation quality becomes so vastly reduced in quality from the still shots that I loose heart. I fantasise about producing punchy animation but it all becomes too much and life interrupts (you know, money, needs, food, family, mortgage etc)!

Yes Tim, it's becoming a little predictable. Don't get me wrong, it pays the bills and my customers are constantly coming back but I really want to push it further with modern architectural scenes and not just 'everyday residential unit marketing'. I was really taken by these shots (http://www.designconnected.com/page/view/who_uses_our_models) and was thinking of trying to reproduce one of these scenes over Christmas to further find the limits of EI and my skills. The chink in my armour stills remains a modelling program that works robustly with EI and is serious enough for me to dedicate to learning.

Michael

• Like 1

Nice clean renders Michael, great work.

Yes it is a struggle to keep render time down for animations and still maintain the quality. Most architectural elements have a lot of polys to make them look any good and it just blows out render times.

Not to mention trees, grass etc. Having said that I am having some success with having some elements set to only render as phong but setup can be tedious.

I just moved onto FormZ V8 and it has sped up my modelling enormously. They have also worked on and continue to work on their import export and it has made a major difference.

Although I have used FormZ for ever, since V7 it is a whole new package.

All good and best wishes for the festive season.

Yes I agree it looks ace!

One small thing I would do is overexpose the view outside the window a bit just to highlight the interior more. A little more realistic as this is what would happen in a photo, not that the interior does not look great itself.

"...overexpose the view outside the window a bit"

Hey that's a great tip, thanks Thomo!

Yes it is easy to control with a simple "layer mask" for the glass. Or post in PSD.

I'd like to see your light setup for that bedroom, it really has pushed EI to another level. Got Vray quality to it but something more as well. I like it a lot.

Impressive mate!

Hi Everyone,

You're too kind with your comments. The reality is that EI is doing the work and I'm just steering it.

The models are from Design Connected and Turbo Squid, and a note to everyone, avoid symbols in any of your folders or object names (/!@#$%^&*() etc).

I modelled the: roman blind in Rhino Mac WIP.

I modelled the: kitchen cabinets, building (cornice, skirting, ceilings, floors, down lights, sliding doors, stairwell, living room cabinet etc) in ArchiCAD v17.

I have realised over the years the two greatest channels to focus on when doing internal work are specular and transmission. Specular is so misunderstood and transmission is difficult to get right. I spent several hours just getting the pillows and bed sheets to look good.

If I get the time I'll post the project file with the lighting set-up (minus the purchased models of course).

Michael

• 6 months later...

G'Day Buggsy!

I'm still pretty keen to have a look at your light setup for the bedroom.

'tis ok not to share the file but just a few tips as to your which approach you used may move EIAS along in Arch Viz.

Render times, photons, hdri, whatever.

Swap out the purchased models for whatever 'cause the materials "help" as well.

Anyway, thanks for sharing once again.

Best regards,